+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Beginner Rod

Default Beginner Rod

Need suggestions for a good beginner rod for smaller mountain streams in VA (6' - 7', 3-4wt). Not trying to break the bank, but don't want bottom of the barrel either.

Thanks,
    Mark

Blog Entries

Mark,

You will be getting a lot of suggestions as there are a number of companies out there who produce some very good entry level and above fly rods.

My 2 cents worth are these. You can't go wrong with any of them.

TFO Lefy Kreh Signature Series II - Lifetime warranty for $120
    http://www.tforods.com/fly-fishing/r...l#.VGD76xTwuow
    ---------------------------
    Echo Solo fly rod for $120 - Echo lifetime warranty
    http://www.echoflyfishing.com/html/r...product_type=1
    -----------------
    Reddington Fly Rods - the Crosswater for $80 and the Classic Trout fopr $150 with Reddingtons lifetime warranty.
    http://www.redington.com/fly-fishing-rods/
    -------------

Larry ---sagefisher---

Mark, those are great suggestions especially with those warrantys. My first was an Eagle Claw spinning fly packable combo. I still have the rod though it is only used in the spinning configuration now.My flyrods are not high dollar rods but not the lower end either. If possible let the person hold the rod and see how it feels to them.
    Wyo-Blizzard

Quote Originally Posted by Byron Zuehlsdorff View Post
    Mark, those are great suggestions especially with those warrantys. My first was an Eagle Claw spinning fly packable combo. I still have the rod though it is only used in the spinning configuration now.My flyrods are not high dollar rods but not the lower end either. If possible let the person hold the rod and see how it feels to them.
    This is good advice, I would recommend you visit your local fly shop there in Waynesboro, http://southriverflyshop.com/. I haven't patronized these folks yet, but I have heard good things about them.

They carry reddington, echo and TFO, probably have a demo to try out, or at least lawn cast.
    "Fishermen are born honest, but they get over it"
    Ed Zern

Quote Originally Posted by pillcaster View Post
    This is good advice, I would recommend you visit your local fly shop there in Waynesboro, http://southriverflyshop.com/. I haven't patronized these folks yet, but I have heard good things about them.

They carry reddington, echo and TFO, probably have a demo to try out, or at least lawn cast.
    I'll likely be paying them a visit soon. In the interest of doing my due diligence, I thought it wise to ask the fine folks here what their opinions might be. You guys haven't steered me wrong yet, so I thought it was a sound plan.

I appreciate all of the suggestions so far.

Quote Originally Posted by NCVirginian View Post
    I'll likely be paying them a visit soon. In the interest of doing my due diligence, I thought it wise to ask the fine folks here what their opinions might be. You guys haven't steered me wrong yet, so I thought it was a sound plan.

I appreciate all of the suggestions so far.
    Let us know if you try the Reddington Classic Trout. I'm in the market for a 7ft(ish) 2wt myself and am interested in some feedback on that rod. Thanks.

If you like glass you can pick up one of these from Sportsman's Warehouse for under $30.00 in a 6'6" 0r 7'. They're 2 piece but they work well. http://eagleclaw.com/product/rods/pr...e/Featherlight.
    I'm either going to, coming from or thinking about fishing. Jim

913 Jackson Lake Rd, Chatsworth, Ga. 30705 (423) 438-1060

If you are just starting out, the beginner kits are great. Cortland, Scientific Anglers, and Pfllueger (did I spell that right???) all make really nice combos. I still fish with mine, and I own several Scientific Anglers sets. Actually, I have never progressed beyond these, because I've never seen a reason to. They have served me well for several decades. I don't even own an expensive rod, like a Sage, or Orvis.

To make a confession, I bought a Martin combo with an automatic reel back in 1973, and I still fish with it. It's a great bluegill rod and reel.

OK...let the jokes begin.......

Quote Originally Posted by jimsnarocks View Post
    If you like glass you can pick up one of these from Sportsman's Warehouse for under $30.00 in a 6'6" 0r 7'. They're 2 piece but they work well. http://eagleclaw.com/product/rods/pr...e/Featherlight.

No one has mentioned the Cabela's "Three Forks" rods.

I do not own one (I have too many rods as it is) But some people really love them.

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Gigmaster View Post
    If you are just starting out, the beginner kits are great. Cortland, Scientific Anglers, and Pfllueger (did I spell that right???) all make really nice combos. I still fish with mine, and I own several Scientific Anglers sets. Actually, I have never progressed beyond these, because I've never seen a reason to. They have served me well for several decades. I don't even own an expensive rod, like a Sage, or Orvis.

To make a confession, I bought a Martin combo with an automatic reel back in 1973, and I still fish with it. It's a great bluegill rod and reel.

OK...let the jokes begin.......
    No jokes from me. My main rod, i.e. the ONLY one I use when fishing my area of the globe, is a hand-me-down Fenwick fiberglass. I'm looking to get my son a rod that he can learn on and we can fish together. I've looked at the kit rods, but they all seem to come in 8' or more. The streams of our area being what they are, I feel that may be longer than he can handle at the moment/while he's learning.

I've looked at the Cabela's rods on their site, but I'd really rather get something that I can put my hands on before buying. I'm going to the local fly shop this coming weekend to talk to the guys there. If they don't have something, which I will be very surprised if they don't, I'll likely check the nearby Gander Mountain or Bass Pro (I'm really trying to support the little shops though and stay away from big box stores).

+ Reply to Thread