Quote Originally Posted by cycler68 View Post
I'm wondering if a little experiment might shed some light on the mono vs fluorocarbon debate. Devise a test which tests a fishes (preferably some fish a person might actually want to catch) ability to avoid fishing line. I thought of putting a fish in a rectangular tank, then making a curtain of fishing line suspended across the width of the tank and see how good the fish is at avoiding the line.
I think I have heard of somebody trying this but repeating it wouldn't hurt especially because fish eyes vary in structure and ability to see in various conditions.

cyc ~ your suggestion about an experiment brought some humor memories to mind. I've tried I don't know how many little tests and experiments, ranging from color to technique to depth to I can't remember what all. Then have some good success with something and announce (if no more then to myself!) that's it, that's the answer! Only to go to the same place a little later, similar conditions conditions, same rig as before and next to zero results - only to find (for example) a different color worked instead of the previous.

Enough to drive a fly fisherman to drink!