Hi melk,

It often helps to do the first wire wrap (from bend to eye) without trapping the feathers, so one wrap around the body only and only start going through the feathers on the next time around. Rib slowly, bringing the rib up to the feathers (with the fibres stroked upwards, as in Scott's excellent step by step), locate where the wire should go through, and use a needle or bodkin to separate a clear passage. Two feathers along the hook will be sufficient for size 10 and smaller (I use a size 10 2x length hook for my matuka's), though larger ones will often have 4 feathers. Some patterns will mix the colour of the hackles, as in a pair of red with a pair of black over top, with red and black mixed collar, red body, with gold wire. The most popular here in New Zealand is probably the Parson's Glory (yellow body, red hackle fibres for a tail, gold rib, barred honey grizzle hackle wing and collar) or the gray ghost (note the Carrie Stevens one, but red hackle fibres for a tail, silver tinsel body, silver wire, grey hackle wing and collar), although my personal favorite is a copper dorothy (blue wisks for tail, copper tinsel body, copper rib, grizzle hackle wing and collar). I like the looks of a Jack's Sprat but I've not used one myself (just substitute badger feathers on the Grey Ghost above and you've got it).