+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Matuka Tips?

Default Matuka Tips?

Hi all,
    As we work our way in fly tying class, the coming week is Matukas. As I do the demoing, trying not to elicit too many laughs, I have been turning out some Matukas. I think I'm getting it, but any tips on getting the wire/ribbing on through the wing better? I have moistened the hackle and stroked it to the front, but the ribbing still seems to not want to go on evenly. I have found that waiting until the fly dries does improve its' looks, of course it will be wet when I fish them!
    Thanks,
    Mike

are you wiggling the wire back and forth as you wrap as you do while counter wrapping the rib on a bugger?

Mike,

I use a bodkin to open a slot in the feather for the wire; seems to work okay. Here's a few pics from the Brown Trout Parr SBS I put together a while back

prepare 2 well-marked feathers per side; measure for length and strip fibers off one side (except for tail)

tie in wing at head

pull wing back along hook, spread fibers at tail

wrap wire, Matuka style, through wing to the front; helicopter wire and tie off

Didn't mention the part about the bodkin, but that's how I did it; hope this helps.

Regards,
    Scott

Scott - THANK YOU, that helps a lot! And also to you, Mr Blur, yes I wiggle, but obviously not enough! Scott, may I copy those pics and use them in class on Wednesday to help illustrate?
    Thanks to you both,
    Mike

Mike,

Sure. Here's the link to the SBS, too:

http://www.flyanglersonline.com/bb/s...Trout-Parr-SBS

Regards,
    Scott

To get a fuller wing silhouette don't strip the fibers from the bottom of the wing feathers. After putting them together to form the wing grasp them by the rounded end that will be the tail. Stroke the fibers from the bottom up so they are outside the top fibers. Finish as usual. This method was given in TYING THE SWISHER RICHARDS FLIES BY Doug Swisher and Carl Richards. I find that I like the results better than when stripping the bottom of the wing.
    I can think of few acts more selfish than refusing a vaccination.

Thanks Scott and rainbow chaser. RC, I saw that somewhere else also, I'll try it first.
    Mike

Matuka is an incredible productive fly, if its well tyied!! My biggest trout were on Matukas, I think.
    I use 2 hen feathers on each side, always. And I never, ever weight the Matuka with wire, cone heads, etc. Its free action in the moving waters is -maybe- the main attraction. At least in my experience.

Mike, I like red chenille or rabbit hair dubbing and a brighter color hackle collar at the front. Just one or two wraps to add a splash of color. I use a bodkin to split the top feathers and wrap the wire opposite to the chenille or dubbing wrap. I tie them weighted or not. Matukas are some of my favorites to tie and fish with. Jim
    I'm either going to, coming from or thinking about fishing. Jim

Hi all,
    Thanks to the great tips and advice I think I am getting the Matuka wing in hand, oops on the hook! Things I have found to help:
    A. Good filled out hackle. I used various "types" and the better looking tied easier.
    B. A bodkin really helped to separate the feathers and make it easier to wiggle the ribbing in.
    C. Patience grasshopper, in wiggling the ribbing. Do not, as AK Best said, hurry this operation.
    D. Measure twice and carefully strip the hackle off carefully.

So, again I appreciate all the help. I don't the server would reject my photos as inappropriate I'll try posting one of the flies.
    Mike

+ Reply to Thread