+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bamboo Rod Builders?

a good friend just bought a Dennis Stone ferruled blank and sent it to me for finishing. gotta say, for the price Dennis work can't be beat. the varnish is perfect and the blanks is great. while he was at it I had Dennis make a replacement tip for my Granger 8642. Ammonia toned and everthing. you really can't tell the original from the replacement. Excellent work.
    The only things we permanently keep, are those we give away-Waite Philips

Blog Entries

second the mention of Jim Downes. you could go to Bamboo Week at Upper Canyon Outfitters and finish one yourself with his help. he builds rods to fish with, and they are very, very nice!
    fly fishing and baseball share a totally deceptive simplicity; that's why they can both be lifelong pursuits.

so many great builders. Many are hobby guys who don't sell rods. If you get a chance go to a rod builders get together. You would have the chance to cast many rods and see for yourself who you like best. The SRG in Arkansas in the fall is one of the best.

Thanks for all the great information. I'm trying to soak it all in. Going to a rod builders get together is a great idea. Thanks again. Hope everyone had a Merry Christmas.

Quote Originally Posted by birddog View Post
    so many great builders. Many are hobby guys who don't sell rods. If you get a chance go to a rod builders get together. You would have the chance to cast many rods and see for yourself who you like best. The SRG in Arkansas in the fall is one of the best.
    Birddog, what is the Arkansas SRG?

I think this is what he is referring to, awesome gathering of makers, builders, and bamboo!
    http://southernrodmakers.blogspot.com/

Hello, Mr. Grant. I hope I got that correct. My name is Tom Coutu and I live in Clinton, MS. I am a fellow bamboo enthusiast and also a bamboo rod maker. I am not trying to sell you anything but it might be nice for us to get together some time and cast some of the rods that I have built so you have an idea of what you want. I have built 7 rods and was a student of Bill Oyster. I have 4 rods here. Two others went to my uncle, who got me started fishing at a very young age, and to a close friend. The third went to charity and brought $1200 for wounded warriors. If you are interested in more established rod builders, i highly recommend Harry Boyd or John Hollifield. Harry is close, in Winnsboro, LA. John is in NC. They both build beautiful rods. Bill Oyster makes wonderful rods, as well, but he demands a higher price. Let me know if you would like to get together. Perhaps I can walk you through the process so that you can be better prepared to make your choice. My shop is at my home in Clinton. I would really like to find a local fishing partner. My number is 601-415-8914. Give me a call

+ Reply to Thread