+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Broken Bamboo Rod Help Desired

Default Broken Bamboo Rod Help Desired

This winter I built a bamboo rod from an Elkhorn blank. I hand sanded and prepared the banboo to accept the ferrels, epoxied them on etc.

Today the butt section of the rod broke at the ferrel. It is a clean break, showing to me that it was a manufacturer's defect. In this case I am the manufacturer.

What I am thinking is that I should take the rod to someone with a lathe and have all sections turned to the right diameter. I assume if the butt broke the other section will probably suffer the same end sooner rather than later because my turning process was flawed. This will give me a rod that is about 4" shorter than designed.

Is it safe to assume that if I do this I can use the same ferrels and the blank being turned 2 " up the butt and 2" down the tips will not effect the structural integrity of the rod.

Does this make sense as a solution and will it greatly effect the action of the rod, or should I hang it on the wall and call it a nice (but sad) learning experience.

For what its worth, it was a sweet rod.

jed

You want to reduce the outside of the cane to fit? Isn't that where all the power fibers are?

I have no idea. That is why I ask the question.

jed

Jed, it is still far from a wall hanger...there is a cure but it will mean referruling the whole rod. Depending on how the break inpacted the bamboo, it will be a pretty easy fix but what you will have to do is to get a set of 14/64ths ferrules to do the repair. It sounds as if the ferrule stations were cut below the power fibers, and that being the case you will have a rod that will be a little shorter but not that much. The blanks should have been a little longer to begin with, the overall length probably measured something like 7' 8" when assembled so you will still very probably have a 7'6" rod if you referrule it. If I have that taper right, it appears to be based on a Garrison 209 taper and is a very powerful blank. It is definitely Tonkin cane and that is the best there is (in most peoples opinion anyway. Clean breaks at the ferrule usually indicate that stationing of the ferrules went almost or all the way through the outer power fibers that give bamboo is amazing flexibility. Take that away and it will amost certainly break as you have indicated that it has done.

Jed,

I have seen other Chinese rods suffer similar fates so I'm not completely convinced that it was YOUR fault. However, assuming it WAS something you did I'll try to answer your questions. It is possible that you used a ferrule that was too small. If you had to remove cane to the point that the ferrule station for the butt section was completely round, then you probably should have used the next size up. By trying to use the same ferrules and moving down the butt to an even larger cross section, this problem will just be exacerbated (did I just say "exacerbated"?) The problem now is that the tip section has already been turned down for this size of ferrule. One option would be to use a larger ferrule on the new, shorter, butt section, remove the tip ferrule and shim to fit the larger ferrule. The problem here is that in trying to remove the epoxied ferrule from the tip you risk damaging this section as well, not to mention trying to do a proper shim job for the first time. I would not recommend shortening the tip section as you suggested. You will end up with a large drop in the taper from the butt to the tip section. The result could be a "whippy" tip which can't properly transfer the flex into the butt section. On the other hand, no point in hanging a fly rod on the wall either until it's beyond any hope! So... If your not up to the task of shimming, I would suggest leaving the tip alone, and turning down the shortened butt section to accept the original female ferrule and just being aware of the rods weakness. Be extra careful when disassembling to use an over / under grip with your hands at least a foot from the ferrule on either side to avoid stressing the area. Then, go fish the fool out of it. Hope that explanation made sense. Good luck!

Bill Oyster

------------------
    [url=http://www.oysterbamboo.com:1032d]www.oysterbamboo.com[/url:1032d]

[This message has been edited by oyster (edited 26 May 2006).]

Bill,
    Now that I read your post I am Doubly convinced that it was my fault, well almost. The ferrules came with the rod, but I did have to make the rod totally round to accept the ferrules. With a proper fit, should I need to sand/cut the blank to accept the ferrule. If yes should the size be such that I only round the corners, and then fill the blank space with epoxy?

Would I fit a ferrule by finding the smallest size that fits over the rounded blank and then choose one size smaller?

I am somewhat (no make that almost completely) clueless on how to size the ferrule.

jed

Jed,

Basically, you want the largest ferrule you can use which will still achieve a tight fit. In other words, will require removing some cane, but the least amount possible, from both the butt and tip sections. Some tapers have a drop in the tip section relative to the dimension of the butt station so be sure that if it only requires knocking off the the corners on the butt section that it's not too big for the tip. A good way to start would be to measure the tip ferrule station across opposite apexes with a set of calipers which registers in /64ths of an inch (Home Depot, Lowes, etc.) Whatever it reads, round down and use that size. ie. it measures out at 12.25/64 (apex to apex NOT flat to flat!)so choose a size 12 ferrule. Also, make sure that the ferrules you use have serrated tabs to ease the stress where it meets the cane. Many, including myself, go one step further and crown the ferrule tabs to a point to increase their flexibility and further reduce the stress on this joint.

Bill O.

------------------
    [url=http://www.oysterbamboo.com:20570]www.oysterbamboo.com[/url:20570]

Great help. I think I understand the task at hand. Brian at Elkhorn said that removing the tip of the butt and butt of the tip would not make a noticible difference. With those rods he has done it and it has worked out fine. So perfect it won't be, but I think it will be servicible until the next time.

Bill, Nice site you have.

jed

Thanks Jed. Let us know how it turns out.

Bill

------------------
    [url=http://www.oysterbamboo.com:82bb0]www.oysterbamboo.com[/url:82bb0]

The great part of all of this is; Jed learned a little by 'building' the rod. Now,,, he is learning a lot more, and that 'is a good thing.' The break really did not hurt anything and served to extend the events.

+ Reply to Thread