+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Another Muddler question

Hybrid View

Question Another Muddler question

I am confused about the conflict In the design of a Muddler. The rear half is a streamer while the front is designed as a floating "gurgler'. I hate to argue with myself over this because every time I argue with myself, I loose.
    I've been tying mine with simplified heads of acrylic punch yarn in front of a deer hair collar and fish them sub surface. They seem acceptable.
    Comments from other Muddler addicts are appreciated.

Ray, if you've seen pics of Don Gapen's original tie, you know that the head wasn't a big ball of spun deer hair. It looked to me to be more like an enlarged version of an elk hair caddis head- just lash the hairs down, and clip the butt ends a little longish. His fly would sink, I believe, and that's where he wanted it to be. But for a big-head muddler, your yarn works just fine. The late Gary LaFontaine felt that the spun and clipped deer hair emitted sonic waves that the trout could sense, but I'm not going there right now.

Chuck

According to the Don Gapen idea, the MM is a flathead minnow imitation (to catch the monster brookies of the Nipigon system). Those little creatures that swim slowly on the bottom between rocks and stones. Which color and spots are imitated with the Turkey wing. So check a flathead in Google and good luck.

Ray,

I think one of the attributes that makes the muddler so successful is the buoyancy of the deer hair head. The fly wasn't initially meant to float at all, but you don't want it sinking like a rock either. The sparse deer hair balances out the weight of the other materials, and keeps it moving rather than falling in the current. This allows you to fish it slowly without too many hang ups, thus effectively imitating a bottom dwelling baitfish.

Over the years, I've gone to a denser head than the original, and added a small amount of lead wire to the shank. Same 'balance' concept, but I think the denser head moves water better and keeps the head 'up' more to let the fly move among rocks well.

Buddy
    It Just Doesn't Matter....

Gierach tells a story in which he's slated to head up to Canada to hunt for huge brookies and spends an painstaking time in advance tying up a supply of muddlers.
    He shows them to the guide and the guide tells him they're no good. The heads are way too packed and the muddlers won't sink.

I've been tying up a few #12 and #10 Marabou Muddlers this week.
    I want them to sink very slowly or suspend on a slow-to-moderate retrieve using a WFF line in a stillwater situation. I don't want them to float, so I'm not packing the heads tightly.
    Until I water-test them, I don't have a clue if any non-lead wraps will be required.

Those who mentioned that you now pack your heads tighter than you used to...is it because they fish better in your situation and/or last longer?
    David Merical
    St. Louis, MO

Dave,

I pack them tighter now because they fish better. Durability isn't usually an issue for me .

Buddy
    It Just Doesn't Matter....

+ Reply to Thread