I was tying some caddis flies and thought maybe others weren't aware of Bob Jacklin's Fluttering Caddis Pattern.
Bob is the owner of Bob Jacklin's Fly Shop in West Yellowstone, Mt. He has been fishing the Yellowstone Area since 1963 when he drove from New York and camped at Madison Junction Campground.

He is a great guy and my son and I had the opportunity of being guided by him on the Madison River this past summer.

Anyway, his version is tied a little differently. After forming the body, he stacks the deer hair and lays it in with the tips extending over the eye. He flares the hair and then, while never releasing the butt ends, he trims them at a 45 degree angle at the rear of the fly. He then cuts the tips close to the hook shank and hackles the front of the fly.

His reason for tying the caddis this way is that he believes he gets a better silhouette view from the trout's view and the hollow deer hair ends float better than the tips which tend not to be hollow. He does admit that since you cut the butt ends, after a while they will soak water and you may have to dry it out again.

From the side

F
rom below