Thread: Spinner Flies

Threaded View

Sagefisher,
    I agree they are a bit hard to cast. The 7 weight rod I been using to cast them is outfitted with Rio Clouser line designed to help cast heavy flies like clousers, large streamers and deer hair poppers. I slowed down my casting rhythm a little to get the line to lay out straighter so I wouldn't miss so many strikes and have tinkered with making my own spinner flies using some heavy 25 lb test monofilament as the shaft. But what really got my attention is the effectiveness of these flies. Trout just love 'em and I have also caught bass, perch, bluegill and catfish in the short time I have been using them.

I might add that this isn't the only fly dressed up with a spinner that I have been using. I also use coyotes which is a fly rod version of a road runner. These cast easier than a Joes Fly. So far I have caught most of my fly rod walleye on them as well as largemouth bass, white bass, catfish and perch.
    Last edited by cycler68; 10-29-2014 at 02:12 PM. Reason: Additional information