+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Using head cement

Blog Entries

Default Using head cement

I have been tying and fishing my own flies for a number of decades. I very rarely put any type of head cement or varnish of any type on the heads of the flies I tie - unless ones I sell.

I have never had the thread come undone.

Who uses head cement/Hansen's/ or other types of varnish or ties "sans" such material?

An exception would be in varnishing salmon flies or similar....

I have used Sally Hansens since i had to replace my very first bottle of varnish from the flyshop.

Blog Entries

You have had non-varnished flies come undone?

I have had them come undone, but have quit doing hand whips and that seems to help. That darn Ultra70 denier thread seems to come undone the worst.

On straight-eye tiny flies about size 22 to 30 I use glue, varnish on midges, tricos, and small olives. Part my fault and part the tiny eye. If I put too many finishing wraps at the eye I found the thread sometimes slips over it. So, I put a dab of superglue on the thread and then finish it.

I'm old school and I have used head cement since I started tying. I like my stuff thin, I use Griff's, no longer available. SH and I have some Dr logic stuff. I also use wax on every fly I tye.

Quote Originally Posted by Byron haugh View Post
    You have had non-varnished flies come undone?
    Yes. But mainly larger bulkier flies like stims and such. Flies that material can often and conpress when wet. My question would be....why not?

I use super glue a whole lot more, as my vids attest. A lot of my bugs have a coating of glue in unusual places. I routinely wrap hackle into wet glue, for example.

I do if using certain materials..... Pheasant tails for one and Closer minnows with squirrel tail wing. I put a thin layer of Sally's down on my thread wraps before wrapping the pheasant up. And my small #10 Clousers that use squirrel tail as the wing, I will use Sally's on the "nose" to secure that slippery squirrel tail.
    The Green Hornet strikes again!!!

Hard As Hull on most patterns...on bead heads, a drop on top of the bead and swipe the thread through it while whip finishing. On larger patterns, like buggers and streamers, super glue in a lot of places - like Walter...

PT/TB
    Daughter to Father, "How many arms do you have, how many fly rods do you need?"
    http://planettrout.wordpress.com/

+ Reply to Thread