+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Using head cement

Hybrid View

I do if using certain materials..... Pheasant tails for one and Closer minnows with squirrel tail wing. I put a thin layer of Sally's down on my thread wraps before wrapping the pheasant up. And my small #10 Clousers that use squirrel tail as the wing, I will use Sally's on the "nose" to secure that slippery squirrel tail.
    The Green Hornet strikes again!!!

Hard As Hull on most patterns...on bead heads, a drop on top of the bead and swipe the thread through it while whip finishing. On larger patterns, like buggers and streamers, super glue in a lot of places - like Walter...

PT/TB
    Daughter to Father, "How many arms do you have, how many fly rods do you need?"
    http://planettrout.wordpress.com/

Super glue under delicate materials like peacock herl, pheasant tail fibers, tinsel, etc., before I wrap them.
    UV resin over bodies made with biots, hackle stems, stripped peacock, thread, etc., to bring out the colors and for protection and also on wing cases.
    Sometimes I'll put a drop of super glue on the-tie in point for uncooperating deer, elk, and squirrel hair wings.
    Super glue painted on the thread before whip finishing.
    Obviously, I don't use head cement much any more. The UV resin has taken over a lot of applications where I used to use it.

Joe

For my dries just a 3-4 turn hand whip finish. Nymphs and streamers I use a thin head cement. I've been using Harrops water base for several years now also, seems to work just fine.
    Gene

I use head cement when I remember to do so. Can't say whether I have more come apart without or not. I usually hang it in a tree before it has a chance to fall apart.

I use it every time I tie a bead headed fly. That way the thread is more durable.
    On size 20 and smaller flies I don't use had cement and have not had them come undone.

Rick

I use cements on most of my nymphs, streamers and some large dry flies. I don't use cement on most of my dry flies or on very small nymphs. I use Sally Hansen's most of the time. I haven't had significant problems with thread unraveling, but I do whip finish my flies and sometimes add half hitches along the way.

+ Reply to Thread