+ Reply to Thread

Thread: NuCanoe?

Hybrid View

Default NuCanoe?

Anyone using a NuCanoe Frontier? Pros? Cons? Pictures of your setup? I had a Native Ultimate 12 once and didn't like fishing from it cause it was too low to the water. Was considering a Jackson Cuda 12 until I saw the NuCanoe Frontier 12. Curious about owner's thoughts.

Thanks

Shoot Warren Patterson a PM. He has one and loves it!!

Brad
    "A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her."
    -W.C. Fields

I am not the expert on Nucanoe that WarrenP is, but I have a 10 ft. Frontier, which I have had for about a year or a little more. I sold a 14 ft. jon boat to buy the Nucanoe, because the jon boat was a hassle for me to get from the back of my house to my pickup. I am realist enough to know in my late 60's I am not apt to get stronger or more agile, so I wanted a craft easily handled that I would drown myself in. It is a very stable craft for its size. I also wanted the ability to fish upstream in the Chattahoochee River which is my local trout water, as well as local lakes. It travels well in the back of my Ford Ranger, protruding a couple of feet beyond the tail gate. Not being a previous user of plastic boats, I have taken a little get used to using it. I have so far only travelled a half mile or so upstream on the Hooch because a small waterfall at that point. It is very customizable to your needs or desires. I cannot compare it to other crafts, because I haven't used them. It would be excellent for a lot of the state park and game & fish lakes, oxbow in Mississippi and some of the stream in south Mississippi. I would love to get on Black Creek down around Brooklyn (south of Camp Shelby) or Red Creek around Perkinston or the Bogue Chitto or the Okatubba around Collins. I can see easing along the lilypads of the Natchez Trace in Ross Barnett. I like mine.

Since we are talking Mississippi “How about them Dawgs!!!”
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

Man yeah...how bout them Dawgs! Scary game yesterday against UK...they have a great quarterback and our defense appeared to have stayed on the bus in the first half. Hope Mullen got a little wake up call before heading to Tuscaloosa! Hail State!

Thanks for the input on the NuCanoe. My oldest son is wanting a kayak for christmas so he will have is own boat, so I am looking for a kayak type boat that I can easily put two seats in for me and my youngest son who is 6. The NuCanoe seems to fit that bill. I can imagine all kinds of different setups for different outings. By myself, with my oldest, with my oldest in his boat and me and my youngest in the new canoe, etc. Seems like a really versatile rig. I have a 5x10 flat bed trailer that I am going to convert to carry the kayaks and all our gear without having to lift it to the top of the car.

Hopefully WarrenP will chime in with some additional info, but thanks Uncle Jesse...your input is always welcome. I need to get over to north georgia and lets go trout fishing.

Thanks again...

Alan,

Yes, I own, use and love my Frontier 12 and would recommend that you find a dealer close to you so you could demo one. I would recommend that you go to NuCanoe.com and then go to their Forum. There is a ton of info on the Forum and it has a section on "Rigging" that is loaded with some great rigging ideas and pictures. I have responded to your PM on here. Here is just one picture of my Frontier 12 showing the alum. seat bases I had made up for me plus my anchor system. There is an anchor at the front and one on the rear and I can raise and lower them from where I am seated. The extra anchor rope is inside the retractable clothes line rope "thingies" that you see in the picture. They keep the anchor rope up off the floor and out of the way. How they are set up and used in shown on the NuCanoe Forum under "rigging". They are easy to create and are really neat. You can shoot me an e-mail by clicking on the link to me on the NuCanoe web site. There is also a video of me using my Frontier on the Duck River here where I live. I am not on the payroll, I am just a happy customer and love to answer anyone's questions and help out when needed, so, Blake, the owner, put a usable link to me on their web site.

Warren
    Fly fishing and fly tying are two things that I do, and when I am doing them, they are the only 2 things I think about. They clear my mind.

What Warren said.............
    Love the Frontier 12....

DuFf

So, does anyone have experience with this boat AND a Ride 115? I'm now considering both boats. I like the Ride 155X model with the center console that is designed to hold a depth finder. And more than likely, I will use the boat solo way more than with a second angler. Just curious how the boats compare in portability, paddleing, speed (although this is the very bottom of my list), fishability, etc.

I own two Frontiers and a NuCanoe Pursuit. Love them all. I prefer the Pursuit for fly fishing because of the four rod tubes into which you can store fly rods out of the way. However, the Frontier also is a great fly-fishing vessel.
    I used to own a fleet of Jackson Cudas, but had clients flip them over on two of the first three trips. You will not flip a NuCanoe!
    The stability is unparalleled. In fact, you can easily stand and cast a fly rod.
    I have owned and fished out of many brands and models of kayaks over the years, so I know them all.
    I love my NuCanoes. They're the best kayaks for fly fishing out there. The open, uncluttered decks are great and great for fly line!

Yeah.......what he said......

+ Reply to Thread