+ Reply to Thread

Thread: The May Haystack

Hybrid View

Default The May Haystack

May Haystack.jpg

I tie this version of the Haystack to match the March Brown & Grey Fox hatches. This pattern has truly become my all-around pattern for both of these hatches, and is my go-to pattern for May.

For the tying video click on the link below:

http://ralphsflybox.blogspot.com/201...-haystack.html

Blog Entries

Nice flies. Do you not tie the Sparkle Dun version, representing a cripple with a trailing shuck? I have found the Sparkle Duns to out fish the Haystacks. I might be in the minority on this.....don't know.

Quote Originally Posted by Byron haugh View Post
    Nice flies. Do you not tie the Sparkle Dun version, representing a cripple with a trailing shuck? I have found the Sparkle Duns to out fish the Haystacks. I might be in the minority on this.....don't know.
    You must be fishing for trout that only eat shrimp scented zelon (or should I say shuck yarn). In my experience, the Grumpy Frumpy outfishes both of them put together fished in tandem.

Blog Entries

No scent. Seems trout like the easy prey of the cripple version.

No scent. Seems trout like the easy prey of the cripple version.
    They also like the easy prey of the deer hair version.

I think they both represent the trailing shuck and a cripple low in the film. I have found a Sparkle Dun with a synthetic shuck to do a smidge better when fishing glassy water. But once the surface is broken with movement, I give the edge to the Haystack. Not a big fan of the Comparadun wing and dry tailing. If I'm going that route I lean towards a thorax style pattern usually.

This pattern however I feel does well due to the hair attributes.

Actually i have tied and fished most of them, but always come back to the Haystack.

Quote Originally Posted by NJTroutbum View Post
    Actually i have tied and fished most of them, but always come back to the Haystack.
    As you should. Haystacks rock. Not much out there that rivals the bugginess of deer hair.

+ Reply to Thread