+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Unidentified Cane Rod

Default Unidentified Cane Rod

Hey folks. I recently acquired this rod and am trying to figure out what it is. I've posted a bunch of photos:
    [url=http://www.dmaluso.photosite.com/Album16/:1f1e3]Photo Album Here[/url:1f1e3]

The case is metal, black with heavy silver screw on end. The label on the case is, as shown in the photos, partially worn away. The cloth bag is a dark green, darker than the green I've seen on old South Bend rods. There are no tying strings on the cloth bag. The rod itself doesn't seem to have any written identifying marks but it's clear that someone tried to refinish this rod at some point and so they may have obscured the marking. The original finish looks to have been sprayed over, and not very well sprayed over at that. All wraps look original except a repair wrap for the hook keeper. Other wraps are a brightish green with gold tips. The end of the reel seat has a screw. All sections are 36 3/4 inches. There is a second tip. No missing parts. I guess that would put it in Very Good condition, based on the chart for this forum. I'm no cane expert but this rod has excellent damping characteristics. Looks like it might actually be able to handle a #5 line but probably I'd start out trying with a 6. It's not nearly as slow as the Montagues and South Bends that I've cast/wiggled. If anyone can tell me what I've got and possibly what it's worth, I'd appreciate it. Thanks for any wisdom.

I've also posted this question on Clark's Forum but figured I'd ask here, too.
    "If I'm not going to catch anything, then I 'd rather not catch anything on flies" ... Bob Lawless

Diane,
    Looks to be a wright and McGill... 50's early 60's....But I could be way off... Deleo will prolly get ya much closer!

Good Luck!!
    Nice rod !

[This message has been edited by billknepp (edited 07 May 2006).]
    Wish ya great fishing,Bill

The tube certainly appears to be a Wright McGill tube, I have 2 or 3 of them laying around in different places here. The rod on the other hand doesnt. I think that the rod could be a South Bend possibly but the ferrules are misleading as they are not rolled design used on most SB rods. It very well could be a trade rod amde by either SB, or Heddon. I am certain that I havent' seen anywhere near all of the various things that were done by either company. Hopefully, someone can give it a positive ID and enlighten all of us a little more.

Don't ask me to remember because I'll be a while in the research books, but the matching rod tube & reelseat knurling looks vaguely familiar....like a limited special edition rod????

The grip, reel seat and signature wraps look just like a Shakespear I redid not that long ago. I don't think the tube goes with the rod but then again I'm having a hard time reading what's left of the label.
    So that's my guess... Shakespear.. Probably by south Bend.
    The only things we permanently keep, are those we give away-Waite Philips

Those wraps and ferrules are what throws me off....I agree on the reel seat but I have seen that seat used on quite a few older rods. The ferrules appear to be nickel silver welted ferrules, could be a high end SB.

Thanks, folks. This one seems to be a bit hard for you experts to agree on and I think it may be the tube. The consensus seems to be a possible South Bend made for Shakespeare.. possibly a doublebuilt. And the tube quite probably isn't original to this rod.

Going on the above premise, I think I'll clean this one up and fish it. I love the feel when I wiggle it and I'm curious to see if I can get away with a #5 line.

Thanks for the help. I really appreciate it.

Diane
    "If I'm not going to catch anything, then I 'd rather not catch anything on flies" ... Bob Lawless

I think I've seen those same ferrules on an early South bend 290. that and the reel seat still make my vote for a Shakespear by South Bend.

What color are the wraps? I'll check my Sinclear book.
    The only things we permanently keep, are those we give away-Waite Philips

Thanks, Cheffy. Wraps are green with gold tipping.

Diane,
    That clean up could produce a very nice rod without needing very much work...except for the clean up. It looks to be overcoated with varnish and if it is typical varnish sold for rods of that day, using a piece of cotton cloth and regular alcohol would remove the varnish but you have to go about it carefully and when you have it removed, let it dry really well as it will be somewhat tacky. Those ferrules still resemble ferrules that I have seen before, and the ones that I remember (have a couple of them here that are take-offs) I think came from a rod that Rick Taupier thought came from the Montague Custom Rod shop before they closed operations down. they should be soldered welts that are applied to the ferrule tubing after the ferrule was formed. These have that same stepped welt on them.

LD

+ Reply to Thread