Thread: Modern Emergers: When Did Anglers Begin Using Them?

Threaded View

Quote Originally Posted by sagefisher View Post
    This sort of makes me wonder a bit. When we fish dries and they start to sink enough so only the top portion of the fly is above the surface, how much different is that from fishing emergers? Yet, when that happens, we pick it up, make a few false casts to dry it off and recast or we bring it in and put some more floatant on it. I remember doing that ever since I started fly fishing back when I was 14. If I had left the fly in a nearly sunk condition I would have been fishing an emerger. Why didn't it click in that that could be an effective way to fish an almost dry fly. Habit and doing what I was told I guess. Just a thought.

Larry ---sagefisher---
    Larry,

I believe that it has to do with what amount of time a particular angler is willing to invest in truly learning and understanding the emergence process for Mayflies, Caddis and Midges. For example, how many fly fishers can actually name the Mayflies that emerge as adults, having escaped their shucks, in the water column, below the surface ? Further, it amazes me that someone fishing a parachute, as an emerger, will put floatant all over the fly instead of just on the portion that is meant to float above the surface film...go figure...

PT/TB
    Last edited by planettrout; 10-20-2014 at 02:23 PM.
    Daughter to Father, "How many arms do you have, how many fly rods do you need?"
    http://planettrout.wordpress.com/