Sorry to revive an old post and will try not to bore anyone with details, but back in May, this subject came up and I had recommended a product called Diamondite Rod Finish and just wanted to share my own observations about this product.

Mostly I build bamboo, but still enjoy building both fiberglass and graphites and when I do build "plastic", I use basically the same rod finishing process everyone else does. Back in May, I stumbled across a product called Diamondite and shared with everyone my feelings about that product at that time. Since then, I have discovered that this is still a very good product but somwhat "temperamental" as it appears to be more sensative to temperature change than does Flex Coat, a and has some peculiarities to it that are not necessarily enjoyable. While I would agree that much of it may be "operator error", I tend to believe that it isn't in the mixing, as I am somewhat anal about ensuring that the mixes are correct, and that the application of the product is correct. I will continue to use the Diamondite but will be communication with Swifty Manufacturing about the issues I have encountered, and will find out if it is something I am doing wrong in the preparation, in room temperature, etc.

I guess the bottom line is that I won't be completely swayed from the Flex Coat until I have a 100% satisfaction degree with the Diamondite as far as the application goes. The final product...it dries fast and is clear and glossy, it is just getting it to that point at a high degree of consistency that leaves me wondering if this is a viable replacement or alternative.

Lesson leaned? Yep for sure, don't go off talking to the world about a new mousetrap until its been proven that the new mousetrap works better than the old one! there is more to the book than the cover and the introduction!