hNt,

You are some sound advice here for fishing some of the larger western rivers. The 9 foot 5 and 6 weight rods are the mainstay of fly fishing out here. One weight difference doesn't seem like much but when casting either very large dry flies in a stiff wind or chucking out heavy nymphing rigs, the 6 weight can really help you out over the 5 weight. I use both weights when fishing but I set the 5 weight aside when it really gets to blowing. Casting is much easier then with the 6 weight.

Also please note the suggestion about using a longer rod when nymphing. Personally I use 11 foot 6 weight rods for that purpose. Most people go with the 10 foot rods. The longer rods offer a huge advantage when casting, both in giving you a great reach cast and in a mend cast when the line first hits the water. When nymphing the whole idea is to get the flies to sink down to the bottom along a certain seam or place in the river. That requires a drag free drift and big mends really help out by giving the fly time to sink to the bottom, and then drift drag free for as long as possible. Sure, you can cast the same with a 9 foot rod but you are really going to be using your whole upper body and wearing out your casting arm in a hurry compared to an easy flick of the wrist and lower arm. Also, the 10 or 11 foot rods act as a great shock absorber when fighting a fish. The rod makes it a whole lot easier to control the fish. The fish ends up fighting the rod rather than you having to let out more line, so you tend to get the fish to the boat quicker which means less stress on the fish and on you.

Someday you will make it out west to our great rivers. Just make sure you are armed with the proper arsenal of rods.

Larry ---sagefisher---