+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Bought a New Vise Base

Hybrid View

Default Bought a New Vise Base

Today I splurged and bought myself a new vise base. I have a great HMH Standard vise and went with one of those Granite bases in a darker color. I decided with the house remodeling over and I will be assembling my new tying room, I wanted something new and different. Now I can hardly wait to get the room back in place so I can sit down at my desk and tye.

Any one else have one of these granite bases on your vise at home?

Made mine. One inch aluminum, with a magnet inserted (under the hooks). Went with gloss white to reflect light.

image.jpg
    Last edited by stcroixguy; 10-08-2014 at 04:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by stcroixguy View Post
    Made mine. One inch aluminum, with a magnet inserted (under the hooks). Went with gloss white to reflect light.

Attachment 13246
    What is the weight of the base? By the way, nice job! I like it a lot.

Brad
    "A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her."
    -W.C. Fields

Weight? I guess about 5 pounds. It's heavier than the stock Rinzetti base. It doesn't move around when I'm butchering ( attempting to tie ) a basic fly pattern. A little heavy to be portable.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaboom1 View Post
    What is the weight of the base? By the way, nice job! I like it a lot.

Brad

Thanks for the info stcroixguy. I have a Traveler myself and I wish the base was a little heavier. I am a heavy handed tier and I slide the stock vice and base all over the table.

Brad
    "A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her."
    -W.C. Fields

Kaboom
    A quick fix would be to Duck Tape the base to the table!

A better idea would be to find a piece of steel either quarter inch or thicker and attach ( easiest way is to use epoxy )your present base to it and put some nonskid material on the bottom of the bottom the combined pieces .You can even customize the base by painting it and glueing refrigerator magnets upside down to the top to hold hooks! Another useful
    Item you can add to you vise stem is a Cliffs shelf it not only holds hooks or completed flies it is also a hackle gauge.

Fishin' Jimmy

[

Actually it is closer to four pounds.

QUOTE=stcroixguy;504917]Weight? I guess about 5 pounds. It's heavier than the stock Rinzetti base. It doesn't move around when I'm butchering ( attempting to tie ) a basic fly pattern. A little heavy to be portable.[/QUOTE]

I've been considering one, very unique. My question is I have a Renzetti Master vise and the clamp for the stem is different. Not sure it will work on the granite, and I do not want to modify my vise. The clamping design that Renzetti uses is very sturdy, it actually tightens as a clamp instead of just screwing into the stem. I will email them and discuss what can be done, enjoy yours.
    Gene

That is really cool!

+ Reply to Thread