+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Hand Rubbed

Default Hand Rubbed

I read abought the hand rubbed varnish application.To anyone who uses this method would you explain the application method.When I brush the finish on I seem to get some roughness in the final finished product.Would the hand rubbed application perhaps eliminated this problem.Thanks
    John

Hi John,
    I like to apply the first two or three coats of varnish with my finger tips.After that I use a small pc. of cotton wrapped around my finger to apply.

Do you use a piece of cotton cloth or a cotton ball? Thanks
    John

No cotton balls...yuck, what a mess.

------------------
    LadyFisher, Publisher of
    FAOL

OK....no Cotton Balls.Thanks LF
    John

John
    I cut some 2in.x2in pc.of clean old t-shirt and use that.Another good thing to use are the black foam paint brushes.I cut them into strips about 1/2in.wide.Do not overload the foam when applying.

Thanks Rich.The second coat of varnish has been rubbed on so after work tomorrow I'll do the final coat.Thanks again for the info.
    John

I find cloth,cotton shirts etc, can cause problems. First if washed in detergent with silicone for a softner, will reek havoc with varnish and cotton tends to leave fibers behind.
    I prefer coffee filters, fold over once, use enough area to cover three flats, one swipe down turn and do the next three flats. Sectioned off by the guides, otherwise continue as far as you can reach, one swipe.
    Pete

I never got around to using the cotton t-shirt,instead I just put 2 more hand rubbed coats(four total) and I'm very impressed with the results.
    John

+ Reply to Thread