+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Black Beauty

Default Black Beauty

I recently bought an old 9' Heddon Black Beauty.It has seen better days but I feel I can bring it back to life.I've been refinishing HI's-Montys-SouthBends and feel pretty comfortable tackling the Heddon......My question is this.The ferrels are black,but are in pretty bad shape.How would I refinish them and with what?
    Thanks
    John

I would give Dave LeClair a call on the ferrules. I have seen them refinished with everything from oxidizing them with Oxphoblue, Birchwood casey's Brass Black, to being painted (as they originally were as some have told me) with a black lacquor. Depending on the condition fo the ferrules themselves, you can remove the old finish with a quality stripper then assess their condition and go from there....the good news is....its all black from that point and when you finish you have a really sweet rod. What ferule size is your black beauty?

This one is a 2 1/2 ferrule.I do have an 8 1/2 2" beauty that is in great shape.I figured at least I have a good referance rod to fall back to if I have any questions pertaining to the wraps.Which brings me to another question......Who is a good outlet for silk thread? Mud Hole doesn't have Orange.
    John

Try Russ at Goldenwitch
    [url=http://www.goldenwitch.com:e7e65]www.goldenwitch.com[/url:e7e65]

Darn, dleo beat me to it! But, yeah, Golden Witch is a good bet, and they have a thread matching service, as well as a ferrule matching service, if you're wanting to get it back to near original condition.

Joe Martin
    Salem, OR

The black lacquor worked great,and looks good.I'm wondering if I should varnish the ferrules or leave the alone. What do you think?
    John

typically, the black lacquor would be covered with a clear coat to help protect and preserve that hard black lacquor....I think that wihout the clear coat to protect it, the black would soon chip off and become pretty ugly....

Cant wait to see some pictures of it!@!

Leo

I'm hoping to have it finished up this week.I've printed off the detailed instructions on the proper way to post pictures here so with any luck I'll be able to show this sucker off.I'm not going to promise anything.
    John

John,
    Coinkidinks. "Hello, my name is Quinn. I'm addicted to grass!" I just sent off a small check for a Heddon #10 (low end Heddon rod) but very excited nevertheless as it is my first foray into a brand name rod. I too have been working on blue collar HI, SB, and Montys for the past couple of years.
    Hope I can control this addiction.

------------------
    God Blesses!
    A wing & a Prayer! ----*<(((><~ ~ ~ ~
    Quinn
    "I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do; I envy nobody but him, and him only that catches more fish than I do." Izaak Walton
    God Bless and Tight Lines ----*<(((>< ~ ~ ~

Caster,
    All I can say is good luck.Once it get's ahold of you,it's uncontrolable.
    John

+ Reply to Thread