The Aug-sept issue of Fly Fisherman has a blurb, where basically you leave the tag end on your clinch knot long and thread it back thru the hook eye. I haven't tried it, but 2 things make me question. First, the author specifies mono, it seems the tag would be a visible deterrent to the fish. Second, "choose a tippet that has a similar diameter to the hook". That sounds like a big (oversized?) tippet.

So, do you think this will work? And, do you have a in the field (on the fly?) way to make a weedless fly?

Ill just go ahead and hijack my own post, but the same issue has a DIY travel tube, which is exactly how I make a rod case for my TFO rods. I know some on-line shootouts take TFO to task for the lack of a rod tube, but this is cheap and ez, and it helps keep the cost of TFO rods down. My house came with a deactivated whole house vacuum so I have a lifetime supply of rod tubes..... Just take a plastic tube, pick up a couple end caps (peanut butter jar tops also work), and go fishing...........