+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Coloring hackle

Hybrid View

Question Coloring hackle

I have dyed hackle in the past but now when I try to color just a few feathers using waterproof markers (e.g. Letraset) I note a weird thing. The outside (shiny) side of the feather takes the color but the underside (dull) resists and takes on no color at all. What is happening? Thanks.

Could be oil from preening.
    Getting OLD is For Old People.

Have Fun Stay Young Go Fly Fishing!

I have never liked the results of using marker on my hackles. I have tried A-D markers (ArtDesign by Chartpac) Sharpies and and number of 'permanent' markers but always end up with sticky feathers and color that just comes off on my hands while I tie.

On the other hand I have become pretty good at dying small batches in the microwave. I have adjusted my recipes down to just a cup of dye and can easily dye up a dozen dozen or so hackles to order. It's also nice to be able to dye up matched components, for example I might toss in a bit of rabbit fur or some yarn to get color matched dubbing. Once I acquired the basic colors (RIT dye) I can mix up just about any shade I need. Black and a really good dense purple still elude me.

In dying I have also noticed the variation in color saturation you observed. Some of it I attribute to variations in the density/porosity of the material and some to oils as mentioned. Adding some laundry detergent (degreasing agent) to my dye bath seemed to help, however some material just doesn't want to accept color. Turkey biots don't seem to absorb some colors as well as others.

Quote Originally Posted by kengore View Post

Once I acquired the basic colors (RIT dye) I can mix up just about any shade I need. Black and a really good dense purple still elude me.
    This from a very experienced hackle 'grower' who dyes necks and feathers, what he told me (paraphrasing) 'Black has a purple (or maybe he said violet) base and it's difficult to get a good black/black. Dye the material brown first, then black'. However, he also suggested that I use Lady Clarol(sp?), or similar women's hair dye, to get a really good black. This method does not bleed like the former may.
    Last edited by Allan; 09-28-2014 at 08:19 PM.

Ray,

If all you are looking to do is color a few feathers a ta time, check with your local Sally Beauty Supply.

Remember back when all that hackle was being used by hairdressers? They came up some hair type dyes that you could just brush onto the feather to color it. They did it on demand for the customer, so it dries/cures quickly. One hairdresser I spoke with about this told me she just placed several feathers onto paper toweling and brushed on the color. Rinse them in water afterward and they were done. Wide range of color available.

Stuff should be cheap now, as the 'feather in the hair' fad has passed.

Good Luck!

Buddy
    It Just Doesn't Matter....

+ Reply to Thread