+ Reply to Thread

Thread: flaming bamboo cane

Default flaming bamboo cane

other than aesthetics, does flaming the cane affect performance, make it stiffer/weaker compared to the "blonde" finish? thanks

Please note: I am by no means an expert on bamboo rods/rod building. That being said...

My understanding is that flaming is really just for aesthetics (sp?). HOWEVER, I can't help but think that applying heat to the bamboo will drive out at least some moisture (assuming you haven't already heat treated it in an oven or, in my case, a metal piece of pipe) and thus make it stiffer. I wouldn't use flaming as a means of heat treating the splines/culm, or to create a faster action (that should really be accoplished by using an appropriate taper), but I'm sure it has to effect it to some extent. I personaly don't flame mine because A)It's likely I'd turn all my hard work into a pile of charcoal and B)I like the "blonde" look of unflamed rods. Hope this helps.

Joe Martin
    Salem, OR

I know of one 'known' bamboo rod maker who uses a cigarette lighter to 'flame' rods.
    Cosmetic. Personally I think I like the darker rods, such as the Leonard Hunt series, or just blond rods.

------------------
    LadyFisher, Publisher of
    FAOL

in general you will get a stiffer rod by flaming than oven tempering cane to make a blond rod. many builders use a combination of methods to get the results they are looking for. either method will take a backseat to the taper, glue, finish, and method of curing the glue though. IOW, select a rod by how it feels and the cosmetics you like, the rest is up to the builder to do a competent job
    splinter

The flaming process also has effects on the natural resins found in all fibrous material's of a woody nature... If you intend to try it for the first time on your own, You'll want to start at one end and work toward the other as these resin's move and redistribute themselves with in the cane....starting in the center of a section will give adverse effects... Uncontrollable Twisting and such.. Just some thoughts...
    Wish ya great fishing,Bill

+ Reply to Thread