+ Reply to Thread

Thread: The San Juan and dogs

Hybrid View

Default The San Juan and dogs

Hi folks. This is my first post and I've been looking through a lot of stuff. Great site you have here and thanks for having me aboard.

I've been fly fishing for most of my life, starting somewhere around age 10, give or take. I'm 47 now. There was a time in the last 15 yrs where I kinda lost the ability and resources to do much fly fishing but the fire was re-lit in earnest about 2 yrs ago and I'm passionate all over again. Feels good and I'm sorry I missed so many years.

I'm headed to the San Juan quality water section in Oct. This will be my first trip to the area. I've talked to several of the local shops around there and gotten some good guidance regarding tackle. I believe I've got a decent selection of flies for the water there, based on those conversations. For those of you who are veterans of the area, do you have any advice you'd like to pass on? Sections of the river that I shouldn't miss? Techniques that have proven successful? For the record, I have a love affair with fishing. The catching part, while a whole lot of fun, is not my sole purpose for being on the water.

Lastly, I'm considering bringing my 2 yr old lab mix along for the trip. He's a very intelligent and obedient dog who isn't particularly fond of the water, which I consider a benefit. How do you folks who take dogs along manage their whereabouts and activities while you're hip deep in the river? Is it simply a matter of discipline or have you found a tactic that keeps them reasonably occupied and not creating a ruckus or running out of sight? I can't leave him at the campsite all day as I plan to be on the water, all day. Heck, are dogs even allowed on the San Juan for a wading fisherman? It appears they are not if you're floating the river.

Looking for tips, advice, tricks, and to say hello.

-Jeff.

pac8541,

I really hate that I cannot help with any answers to your questions since I live in Tennessee and have never been to the San Juan, but, I did want to give you a big welcome to FAOL. I do feel someone will respond that can help you and, until then, enjoy yourself surfing all the info that is here for you. I will look forward to a fishing report from you when you return. Welcome
    Warren
    Fly fishing and fly tying are two things that I do, and when I am doing them, they are the only 2 things I think about. They clear my mind.

Smile

Park mine in the shade with "Kennel" (point the shade), "Stay". Every 10 - 15 minutes call the dog to "Heel" and repeat. Once an hour or so I'll check if I want any sticks retrieved. Wild water/country I will respond to "bear" or "coyote" and "cougar" warnings with appropriate arm in hand. In a boat with guides permission she lies beside me or beneath any decking as available. Proof that mini dachshunds are tractable. YDMV
    Last edited by gordo7; 09-25-2014 at 11:31 AM.
    Just another HappyHooker

Catching and Releasing Fisher-folk for 40+years

There are a few places that you shouldn't miss that your dog will be too far away to wait for you indefinitely - namely the Upper Flats. But most of the river is narrow enough that you can park him on the bank and go back and forth to him if he isn't happy. Some people bring their well-behaved dogs, and even on a float, if the guide permits and they are well-behaved. I think a lot of issues are with toenails on the bottom of the boat, so a strip of carpet should help that. The "braids" should allow him to sit on the bank and wait for you, as should most of the "cable hole" and "baetis bend".

Hello Jeff, Welcome to FAOL from SoCal.
    New guys cut wood and bring donuts to the fire ring.
    Good luck on your trip to the San Juan. You'll have a blast. Maybe you and your pup can train each other to behave proper. Until my Queensland Heeler, Bela, passed, she loved to go to anywhere with me. She did NOT like the water but would wait patiently while I waded and fished. Just had to have her some scooby snacks and a pat on the noggin and a Good Girl every now and then.
    We are looking forward to a report on your trip. Jim
    I'm either going to, coming from or thinking about fishing. Jim

Jeff,

I've fished he upper section of the quality water quite bit. Often, you have to wade through backwaters and shallow areas through lots of high reeds and such to reach the fishing areas. In this area, your dog would have to wade with you, or be out of site and a quarter mile away on dry ground. I wouldn't miss this area, especially if sight fishing is fun for you.

The other areas south of the Texas Hole parking lot are narrower and your pup could see you from the shoreline. It will be crowded. Expect that. As far as your dog and the other fishermen go, it depends on how well behaved your dog is.

You'll have a lot of fun there. Lots of fish, some are good sized.

Good luck!

Buddy
    It Just Doesn't Matter....

Be sure to check the leash laws.

Hi Jeff, I can't answer about the dog, but I will advise that you float at least a half day with aguide, with dog if the guide is willing. There are a number of guides on the river, almost all are good, they have a few current "guide flys" that will catch fish, but rigging them is the secret and you almost have to go with a guide to learn that. There are lots of "holes" along the river and most can be waded. A good map is available. Fish heads of the San Juan, Abes motel and flyshop and Duranglers are all good reliable sources of guides and advice. WELCOME ABOARD THE GREATEST FLY FISHING SITE ON THE INTERNET ! PADDY
    "Tap her light and she'll always be fresh"

Dont rule out Aztec Anglers as a very good source for guides also. They are very informed and will put you on fish.

+ Reply to Thread