Quote Originally Posted by pac8541 View Post
Thanks Rich, very helpful. At the tie in between the leader and tippet, where you're saying to place the weight, is a tippet ring sufficient? Or does that cause a problem a knot wouldn't...

And when you say "light strike indicator," what defines light?
I'm not sure about using a Tippett ring to tie on your Tippett to your leader. It may cause a hinge effect. It's worth a try anyway. But pinching on your splitshot up against your Tippet ring may cut into your knot. I am just used to using a triple surgeons knot then pinching on your shot above it as close as you can get it. The water in the San Juan is filled with fine moss and it gets on those tiny flys too. Do a quick splash cleaning every 5-6 drifts to keep them clean. I was hoping to use my furled leaders but all the shops around there advised against it. The fine gunk in the water clogs them up and they will not drift properly.
As far as strike indicators goes. I used stick on Palsa floats and did well. The only drawback with them is they don't adjust well after being stuck on. If you get dialed in they are awesome. But the fish move up and down in the water column and you need to adjust to them. Basically you need a float as sensitive as you can get as the bites are very slight most of the times. They can spit it out fast and you may take some time seeing the hit. Just stay with it and you'll do fine. I set the hook on everything that looks odd compared to the normal speed of the flow. Mending , mending And more mending is the key there. If you can get that down you will catch fish once you figure out what they are biting on.

Good luck.