Hi folks. This is my first post and I've been looking through a lot of stuff. Great site you have here and thanks for having me aboard.

I've been fly fishing for most of my life, starting somewhere around age 10, give or take. I'm 47 now. There was a time in the last 15 yrs where I kinda lost the ability and resources to do much fly fishing but the fire was re-lit in earnest about 2 yrs ago and I'm passionate all over again. Feels good and I'm sorry I missed so many years.

I'm headed to the San Juan quality water section in Oct. This will be my first trip to the area. I've talked to several of the local shops around there and gotten some good guidance regarding tackle. I believe I've got a decent selection of flies for the water there, based on those conversations. For those of you who are veterans of the area, do you have any advice you'd like to pass on? Sections of the river that I shouldn't miss? Techniques that have proven successful? For the record, I have a love affair with fishing. The catching part, while a whole lot of fun, is not my sole purpose for being on the water.

Lastly, I'm considering bringing my 2 yr old lab mix along for the trip. He's a very intelligent and obedient dog who isn't particularly fond of the water, which I consider a benefit. How do you folks who take dogs along manage their whereabouts and activities while you're hip deep in the river? Is it simply a matter of discipline or have you found a tactic that keeps them reasonably occupied and not creating a ruckus or running out of sight? I can't leave him at the campsite all day as I plan to be on the water, all day. Heck, are dogs even allowed on the San Juan for a wading fisherman? It appears they are not if you're floating the river.

Looking for tips, advice, tricks, and to say hello.

-Jeff.