+ Reply to Thread

Thread: the death of internet fly swaps

Hybrid View

Default the death of internet fly swaps

it's become readily apparent to me that the internet fly swap is going the way of the dodo. FAOL used to host a multitude of swaps, as did other internet sites. I realize that the swap of the month has been long running here, but I also notice that it has a rather small number of participants.

I really used to enjoy participating and hosting swaps at this site. what has happened to kill off the interest in swapping flies? I have some ideas and am interested in hearing other opinions...

To be honest, it's been awhile since I even looked at the swap forum here. I could be wrong, but it seems like the swap of the month thing pretty much killed the other swaps. The most active swappers are involved with the SOTM and are not starting other swaps. Personally, I don't have a lot of time these days anyway.

1602 NE 180th Ter Smithville MO 64089-9120.

Quote Originally Posted by Jayatwork View Post
    To be honest, it's been awhile since I even looked at the swap forum here. I could be wrong, but it seems like the swap of the month thing pretty much killed the other swaps. The most active swappers are involved with the SOTM and are not starting other swaps. Personally, I don't have a lot of time these days anyway.
    I'm not seeing how 12 guys kill the other swaps? I've been involved with SOTM for nearly 4 years IIRC. I don't have time to get involved in other swaps right now. I think we have 8 or 9 active tiers involved in SOTM. I'm committed to SOTM I just don't have time for another one. I did do a Facebook Swap that went no where. 8 or 9 guys jumped on board and three of us tied for the swap. I'm just concentrating on SOTM because I've been doing it for so long and I'm going to be doing it till the SOTM closes its doors. We always seem to start strong but the numbers dwindle through out the year for various reasons. We as a group of tiers are forgiving as far as the due dates and mail by dates. Heck we are just a bunch of laid back folks. So jump in on the SOTM and joined the gang,

AlanB Guest

Fly swaps are something I have abandoned for several reasons, some of them practical. They often involve international postage, which is just getting way to expensive and is every bit as unreliable as domestic post has been for years. The other thing is what do I do with the flies I get? I don't get collecting at all. I know its a big thing for many people, not for me. They really are not usable as there is usually only one of each. In all the swaps I have taken part in I have only gained one technique that I now use.

More than all though I can't help the feeling that I want more out of the experience for it to be worth while. If I see an interesting fly, one that is different or uses an unusual technique, I want to see it tied, not just look at the finished product. How often do you get that from a swap?

These are just why I don't do them. I don't expect many other people subscribe, and I certainly don't want to put others off.

Cheers,
    A.

The last two swaps I hosted involved flies lost in the mail. That combined with rising postage and materials prices caused me to give up on swaps.
    I can think of few acts more selfish than refusing a vaccination.

I've participated in swaps on this site for over 12 years. At that time there were many swaps, often several at the same time, and you saw many guys hosting. Much, much fewer today and I agree that they appear near extinction. Why? Here are my guesses: Fewer active (and I mean 'active') members; higher mailing costs; Less time by prospective participants; I never used any 'swapped' flies and literally ran out of room to store them; Sometimes poor communications; Frequent dropouts late in the tying time zone and then the person didn't communicate or the host didn't; Frequent overdue flies and the resulting late delivery - Yes, they're only flies but personally, I appreciate promptness; Maybe some feel that it's just not worth the effort for what they get(?); I do not think that 'materials' is a major obstacle but I could be wrong about that.
    Just my reasoning.

+ Reply to Thread