+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: New Catagory?

Quote Originally Posted by Allan View Post
    Yo! Moderators and Administrators.
    How about adding a new and separate Forum Category? 'LURES'. So call me old fashioned or something like that. But applying a hardening resin over a hook wound with thread just doesn't sound like a fly. Not trying to push anyone's sensitivity button. Just saying.

Allan
    How's about listing that Forum Category as "Curmudgeon's Corner"...

PT/TB
    Daughter to Father, "How many arms do you have, how many fly rods do you need?"
    http://planettrout.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by planettrout View Post
    How's about listing that Forum Category as "Curmudgeon's Corner"...

PT/TB
    Bad idea. There would be a huge fight involving everyone who thinks the category was created just for him (or possibly her, in a few cases).

Regards,
    Ed

Blog Entries

Ed D,

Can't imagine that............

Last edited by Byron haugh; 09-25-2014 at 02:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by cheech View Post
    This whole discussion really makes me laugh, and there is a part of the western US where people really think about this stuff. How about this.... WHO CARES WHAT YOU CALL IT!!!!

I fish with flies, I fish with lures, I fish with bait, I fish with your mom... WHO CARES. If you have fun tying them, fishing them, and more importantly if the fish eat them, then good on you.

I really laugh at the guys who criticize me for fishing conventional gear for bass. Truth be told, their "flies" will NEVER be able to do what a bass lure does. If you think they do, just show me your fly rod punching rig.

Simple minded dudes who care what a fish attracting device should be called... Just sayin'
    Nothing beats an old crank phone.... Just sayin.......
    The Green Hornet strikes again!!!

go to the words.... everything we use to attract a fish which is not BAIT is by definition a "lure". Bait is meat or veg of some sort which has scent and is perishable, I think. A fly is simply one type of lure.

Then at some point, the BASCAR guys started calling their lures "BAITS" just to further confuse matters....

I think this topic has been crushed, smashed, beaten, and ground into the dirt a hundred times in the past.
    To the simpleton, proof does not matter once emotion takes hold of an issue.

bait(beɪt) n. 1. food, or some substitute, used as a lure in fishing, trapping,etc. And you don't even want to go to the list on the on line legal dictionary. But technically speaking according to the definition, a fly is bait and a lure.
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

While I may not agree on adding a new category defining non-traditional flies as lures, I would never suggest that Allan would start a thread as a troll. He is one of the most regular and valued contributors here on FAOL and an extremely talented fly tier. The debate on what constitutes a "fly" v's a "lure" has been around almost as long synthetic materials have been and will probably continue for a long time into the future. I personally don't have any problem using whatever materials I need/want to and really don't care what people call it. As far as I'm concerned, all flies are lures, but not all lures are flies. Just one man's opinion.

Jim Smith

Just a couple of things: First, thanks Jim. Second, I've never put anything out there to 'troll'.

Quote Originally Posted by Allan View Post
    Just a couple of things: First, thanks Jim. Second, I've never put anything out there to 'troll'.
    Is that 'cause trolling is done with "lures" and "baiting"?

FWIW, I didn't see the start of this thread as a troll.

Regards,
    Ed,a sometime pirate but not (intentionally) a troll

this is the game that moves as you play. there are no rules.

+ Reply to Thread