The Peak or the Danvise. If you joined us on Skype Sunday nite at 8pm Maine time....my friend can show you and talk about the Peak. He loves it. He has been tying all his life and it is his choice. It is very sleak. I prefer the Danvise. This is something that is just unique to the individual and what that perosn likes the feel of. I can show you my Danvise Sunday nite and talk about it iffen you wish. I have modified it a lot. I would not want the vise without the extension. With the extension it is my favorite. I put a 4" turning wheel on it. Put the extension on upside down and had friend drill and tap the jaws to a spot where it will center the shaft of the hook with the extension upside down. I put on earth magnets to hold material. Glue the shaft of a pencil with the eraser tip onto a washer to hold material down on the earth magnet. Added some pony tail rubber bands to hold material. 'Tis my favorite. Believe it or not I have plans in my head to motorize this vise. Could have a motor just sitting in the background with a noodle of a rubber band. Just slip it over the 4" wheel when want motor speed. Some flies....like an ant done totally with thread take a ton of turns. And I have some hooks that are about 3" long. Putting a body on one and back to the eye is also a ton of wraps. A new person would have no need for a motor at all. Most lifetime tiers would not use one either. Just me. But Danvise or Peak is my recommendation. I don't think you can fault with either one if you owned one. I would definitely start out with a true rotary vise....and not just a stationary vise. The first Montana Nymph I ever tied looked great on top. But the bottom looked terrible....the part the fish sees! With a rotary you can easily turn the fly at will and check out the bottom...or even do some tying with the hook upside down. Whether to tie only with what you fish with....or for pleasure would be up to the individual. No one could predict if YOU would tie unused flies for pleasure. Maybe......maybe not.......
good luck....sorry for length of post
Jim