+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Good Beginners Vise -- Need Recommendation

Don't overlook the Wolff Ind Atlas and Anvil vises also,

Welcome to the board ! You only have to cut the wood, make the coffee, and buy the doughnuts if someone can talk you into it.

I would suggest getting a pedestal so you don't have clamp marks on your workbench. Perhaps what you want is something like this: http://www.basspro.com/Super-AA-Vise/product/10211542/ with a pedestal like this: http://www.basspro.com/Pedestal-Base/product/98221/ .

What is listed as a "bobbin" is more correctly a bobbin holder. Get a ceramic one because it should greatly outlast a non-ceramic one. You might want two bobbin holders.

A dubbing needle is useful and is sometimes even used for teasing out dubbing. Look for one that has a recessed end opposite the needle so you can use it as a tool to tie knots (a.k.a. a half hitch tool).

There are several types of hackle pliers available. I suggest you get at least two. Once should be like this: http://www.basspro.com/Tear-Drop-Hac...roduct/100361/ or this: http://www.basspro.com/English-Hackl...product/22415/ . Another should be like this: http://www.basspro.com/White-River-F...roduct/100350/ which you should be able to also use as a dubbing twister.

Pick scissors that fit you hands comfortably. You find tweezers useful for picking up beads, dropped hooks, and any number of other uses.

I used the BassPro site for convenience only. Buy from whomever you wish. I am not affiliated with BassPro other than the fact that they've gotten an awful lot of my money over the years.

There are a scads of videos on YouTube to demonstrate fly tying. Hans Weilenmann's channel is very good. He also has an excellent website: http://www.flytierspage.com/ . Other YouTube tyers are Davie McPhail and Alan Bithell. Davie is prolific and Alan has only a few videos. Alan and Hans both post on this website. There are plenty of other channels on YouTube that offer good videos.

I suppose basic decency (not that I actually have any) should lead me to tell you to run away and never consider fly tying again. It is an addiction and it can take over your life. You can end up with a collection of different threads that would make a seamstress blush and more bits of feather and hair than a museum. Run! Run and don't look back! Flee while you can! It's too late for the rest of us, but you can still save yourself. You have been warned. If you don't heed the warning, well, welcome to the Dark Side. Hey, we've got cookies and hot cocoa and fudge and...

Regards,
    Ed
    Last edited by Ed_D; 09-22-2014 at 07:08 AM.

Yeah, definitely, run now and never look back!

"Collecting" all sorts of different materials to tie flies with becomes a challenge in itself. You find yourself actually wanting to go shopping with your wife at Joann's, Micheal's, Hobby Lobby, etc. Hardware stores suddenly take a new twist. Friend and family members will not let you near family pets when you have pair of scissors in your hand. Roadkill takes on a whole new outlook (yes, I have picked up a couple roadkill squirrels to get the tails). Halloween is coming up. This means lots of differently-colored items, like wigs, that can be used for material.

You will eventually have to either go to a good fly shop, or order from one via the internet. Some things, like good hackle, just can't be picked up in hobby stores. Be prepared to flip out some money for stuff like that.

What kind of fish are you going to be fishing for, anyway?

Quote Originally Posted by Ed_D View Post
    Other YouTube tyers are Dougie McPhail
    Ed,

I think you meant Davie McPhail (and yes, he is a prolific, fantastic tyer).

Regards,
    Scott

I went with the Griffin Spider rotary vise for my first one. Great vise, holds hooks well. I would stay away from the kits, you get stuff you don't need, and they usually have inferior vises in them.
    As mentioned above, figure out what you want to tie, get a decent vise, and tools, and buy the materials you need. After you get further into it, you will add more materials you need to tie the different flies that you will expand into.

Rinzetti traveler. Hands down best vise for the money. (IMHO)

http://www.renzetti.com/index.php/vi...raveler-series

Quote Originally Posted by rpb View Post
    I would like to try tying flies and would welcome some suggestions on the tools and materials to buy to get started. I see mixed reviews on the kits. it seems like a 'good' vise and set of tools is essential.
    I would prefer not to over-spend but poor tools are never a good idea either.

it would be great if someone could point me in the right direction!

Thanks in advance
    Well, you've gotten a lot of good and possibly bad advise. I make that observation because you did not quantify or qualify your needs. How much are you willing to spend on a vise + other tools? What type(s) of fish do you expect to be fishing for? Lastly, how much do you have to spend on the other tools, materials, books, etc. that are necessary.

You initial request is like someone who wants to build a miniature sailboat and asking what saw should he buy. Okay, maybe that's a poor analogy but I think you get my point.

Allan

Regal vises are the best for beginners. Easy to load with a hook, holds like a....well, like a vise.
    ‎"Trust, but verify" - Russian Proverb, as used by Ronald Reagan

Blog Entries

Rob
    Welcome!
    I think your question is reasonable. If you're a beginner, you might not know enough about what might be available to provide much detail in your question.

You are lucky to be a beginner in these times. There are many good vises available at very reasonable price points today. When many senior tiers first began, there were not many good alternatives.

A safe bet might be to look at three major vise maker web sites and peruse their offerings and associated prices:

DynaKing, Renzetti, and Regal. There are many other good vises available out there, but these three big manufacturers would give you some idea of what is available and the price points. I don't think you could go wrong with any of their products.

Rob,
    Here is a link to an excellent review of vises in various price categories. I'd suggest you read this over before making a choice.

http://www.flyfishohio.com/Vise%20Re..._Shoot-Out.htm

Dave

+ Reply to Thread