+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Off To Wyoming

Default Off To Wyoming

It's that time of year again. On Saturday, I will be winging to Denver, then driving to Casper, Wy., eventually ending up at Grey Reef and the 'Miracle Mile. Should be a great time, as I wasn't able to go to the annual 'Fishin' Mission' last year. I will post a report and photos when I return on the following weekend. Hopefully, it will include pics of fish.

Mike
    Work is something for people that don't fish.

I was there this past April. There were a ton of fish on their redds, I mean thousands and thousands. You should have a great time with so many fish feeding all summer.

I will be flying into Denver the night before ad leaving Sat to head to south eastern ID to fish the South Fork, Teton ad Snake rivers.

I have been to Casper, there wasn't any wade fishing because the land owner owns the bottom of the river.
    Where is the Miracle mile, and is there wade able water? I forgot it was a holiday weekend and couldn't find a guide anywhere.
    Bob.

Have fun, Micheal!

Me Too!!

Leaving Thursday for Grand Teton and Y'Stone . Staying in Jackson and Wilson . Fishin the Tongue, N. fork Shoshone , Lamar, Slough, Snake, Flat Creek, Salt, Grays, Hoback and a few others that I can fit into three weeks. Since I still have my Communion money, no guides will be used but we do pretty well bank and wade fishing. But , then again, when fishing in Wyoming and the bite is off, look up and around.........and your creel is full.
    Mike, I hope you too will have a GREAT trip.

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by krauseb View Post
    I have been to Casper, there wasn't any wade fishing because the land owner owns the bottom of the river.
    Where is the Miracle mile, and is there wade able water? I forgot it was a holiday weekend and couldn't find a guide anywhere.
    Bob.
    The miracle mile is the North Platte River between Kortes Dam Pathfinder Reservoir. The browns should be running up from Pathfinder around now, so there's the opportunity for some large fish.

Also, there are areas of North Platte roughly half an hour south of Casper that are public and offer excellent fishing

Here is a map of the Grey Reef area which shows public and private water areas. A very useful tool for the wade fisherman.

http://www.blm.gov/pgdata/etc/medial...latteGuide.pdf

Also, I need to put a plug in for this place, this is the best deal I have found in the area for lodging. Been there 3 times now and it's been fantastic each time.

http://www.redbutteranchlodging.com/

I 'm back!!! The trip was great, the fishing was not!! Got to be with my two best friends for a while, but the lakes had turned over, making the water very stained, and the fishing tough. We did hit a couple of trico hatches in the morning,but even then, the strikes were few and far between. Pics to follow.
    Work is something for people that don't fish.

Mike,
    Sorry to hear your fishin was so so. But fishing with friends trumps all .I have never fished the Grey Reef but have heard that if you're there when "they" are,it's a fly fishers paradise. We're still in Wyoming and ( NO LIE) fishing has been good. The Snake gave up several cuts and browns in the 16"+ range. We have been skunked on the Salt and Hoback Rivers but it was with friends so that didn't matter al all. A bad day (???) fishing can easily be tempered by friends, a great dinner and a few cocktails.
    Tomorrow it's the Greys River and whatever happens, it's going to be great.
    In any case, Mike, sounds like you don't regret the experience and will probably return.

Mark

+ Reply to Thread