+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Fiberglass rods

I think that the McFarland and the Steffan rod are both in a class by themselves when it comes to glass rods. Those that own the Steffans and fish them swear by them. The same is true for the McFarland owners. I have only cast one Steffan rod and I liked it a lot, to me, the McFarland is more to my liking because of that sweet parabolic action. The Steffan was a bit faster but I would buy one. Both of these fine rod makers are destined to be hall of famers for sure. The Aesthetics of their rods is beyond reproach, and the quality of their blanks put them on the trail of the very formidable Russ Peak rods. (sure would like to get one of those). It is my opinion that either one of them represents the quality in workmanship and the feel that anyone could be proud of.

Hi Leo,

I was just doing some reviewing and I was wondering if the finish on this rod is epoxy or some other finish. I just want to restore a finish on an inexpensive glass fly rod and the finish on your glass is magnificant.

Steve
    Steve

my experience with the McFarland Spruce 3 wt is that more than any other rod I own, I can sense getting better at casting, expecially concerning accuracy.

------------------
    "Give me ambiguity or give me something else"

Steve, that finish is the finish that Mike puts on the rod as he makes them. It truly is a great finish and a great color as well. Lots of threads go with it.

And Gardenfish, how well put! My wife and I suppose my neighbors all think I am a little crazy because I spend a lot of time out in the yard with that rod when I can't fish. Casting this rod has proven to me that newer technology isn't always better for some people. Last Saturday, I had the pleasure of casting a BIIx and a Zero Gravity in a shoot-out...and while I would have to tip the hat to both Winston and to Orvis, I think I like my Mac a little better. this fiberglass thing is almost as addictive as the bamboo thing.

(picked up a 7' 4 wt 2 pc. Steffan this week in a nice trade, and I would have to say that this is another casting machine that is hot and will give the graphite users something to think about for sure) Still like my mac the best though

Jim, I know the feeling you are talking about, and I share that with you wholeheartedly!

LD

I know the whereabouts of 2 Russ Peaks, and I suppose they could be bought for a price, but both owners are rather proud of owning them, rightly so. Russ did 'roll his own' blanks and I believe was a pioneer in designing specific actions into his rods. I don't know if the modern glass rod builders are doing that or buying ready-made blanks. Just don't have enough knowledge of the newer rodmakers.

In fact, I'd love to have an article about the new glass rodmakers if anyone is so inclined.

------------------
    LadyFisher, Publisher of
    FAOL

Cardiac, to confirm what you are saying, I just picked up a 7', 2pc. 4 wt. Steffan and in comparison to my McFarland (hereby dubbed Mickey) I would have to say that for my preferences in most cases, the McFarland is my go-to rod for the type of fishing I like to do. Not that the Steffan is not a pleasure to cast, it most certainly is, and it will certainly see it's action as well. I, too have not had the pleasure to cast a Russ Peak, and giving credit where it is due, I do know some people that have cast them, and I think that Deanna said she had the pleasure of casting one once, and nothing but accolades for the rod and its feel and castability.

In looking at rods of today compared to those great legends in rod design like Russ Peak, Hiram Leonard, Dickerson, Garrison, Payne, the wonderful Grangers, and the list goes on and on, I think that the rod makers of today like Ron Kusse, A.J. Thramer, Walt Carpernter, Bill Taylor, Oyster, Whitehead, The Steffan brothers, and Mike McFarland, and certainly many many more, have taken taper design to a new level and these are certain to be the rod making legends of tommorrow, most of them are already!! Can you just imagine what fly fishing would be like today, had the forefathers had the technology of today...scary thought!!

[This message has been edited by dleo6446 (edited 15 April 2006).]

+ Reply to Thread