Cardiac, to confirm what you are saying, I just picked up a 7', 2pc. 4 wt. Steffan and in comparison to my McFarland (hereby dubbed Mickey) I would have to say that for my preferences in most cases, the McFarland is my go-to rod for the type of fishing I like to do. Not that the Steffan is not a pleasure to cast, it most certainly is, and it will certainly see it's action as well. I, too have not had the pleasure to cast a Russ Peak, and giving credit where it is due, I do know some people that have cast them, and I think that Deanna said she had the pleasure of casting one once, and nothing but accolades for the rod and its feel and castability.

In looking at rods of today compared to those great legends in rod design like Russ Peak, Hiram Leonard, Dickerson, Garrison, Payne, the wonderful Grangers, and the list goes on and on, I think that the rod makers of today like Ron Kusse, A.J. Thramer, Walt Carpernter, Bill Taylor, Oyster, Whitehead, The Steffan brothers, and Mike McFarland, and certainly many many more, have taken taper design to a new level and these are certain to be the rod making legends of tommorrow, most of them are already!! Can you just imagine what fly fishing would be like today, had the forefathers had the technology of today...scary thought!!

[This message has been edited by dleo6446 (edited 15 April 2006).]