+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: looking for a 9' 6wt rod for smallmouth

Default looking for a 9' 6wt rod for smallmouth

Any suggestions on a good 9' 6wt rod for smallmouth bass. I have a reel with 6wt line and am looking to buy or build a rod for river fishing. Live in VA and I won't be fishing any huge flies. Mostly poppers size 4 and smaller and streamers about the same size.

Thanks

I use a TFO BVK 6wt with the fighting butt. If you want to build it, the blanks are available from J stockard, who is a sponsor here
    http://www.jsflyfishing.com/tfo-bvk-fly-rod-blank

I use a 7wt bass line on that rod for smallies, but I also have used a 6wt GPX line on it.
    "Fishermen are born honest, but they get over it"
    Ed Zern

For years I used a St Croix LU 4 pc 6wt when fishing for Smallies. Recently I switched over to a Level 7wt from Rise Fishing Co. I really like the rod. Well balanced and cast and fishes very nicely. They also make the rod in a 6wt. http://risefishing.com/salt-water-fly-rod.html

While I have not cast one, I have heard good things about the TFO Mangrove Series.

Dave
    " If a man is truly blessed, he returns home from fishing to the best catch of his life." Christopher Armour

Like Pillcaster, I also used a 6wt BVK for smallies while river fishing this year. Great rod, and really casts poppers well!
    I also used a 12' 5wt switch rod (Allen Olympic series) one day on the river, and it worked good too (caught some NICE Smallies!), but is probably more rod than you want or need.
    David Merical
    St. Louis, MO

Quote Originally Posted by anglerdave View Post
    For years I used a St Croix LU 4 pc 6wt when fishing for Smallies. Recently I switched over to a Level 7wt from Rise Fishing Co. I really like the rod. Well balanced and cast and fishes very nicely. They also make the rod in a 6wt. http://risefishing.com/salt-water-fly-rod.html

While I have not cast one, I have heard good things about the TFO Mangrove Series.

Dave
    Not to hijack, but

I, too have heard good things about that rod. I went with the BVK mainly because of overall weight. I have an Orvis power matrix 6wt saltwater rod I was using for smallies, but that bad boy weighs almost 5 ounces and after a couple hours I could feel it. The BVK, even with the fighting butt, is still just a little over 3 ounces. The downside of the BVK is there has been some reported breakage issues. I have fished a 6wt w/o the fighting butt ever since they first came out and have not had any problems. Of course, the TFO warranty will make you well if you do break one, but if you lose the "fish of a lifetime" because it breaks, well..... The same criticism has been leveled at the Orvis light weight rod lines, I saw a guide break his helos trying a roll cast.
    "Fishermen are born honest, but they get over it"
    Ed Zern

have a new custom made 9' 6wt. going for 200.00 + shipping
    sandfly/bob
    N.J.B.B.A. #2215
    I did not escape.....they gave me a day pass!
    from the outer edge of nowhere
    fly tying and fishing ghillie..

Built a VXP 6 with a fighting butt. Great rod.

Batson came out with the Revelation series. That company makes excellent blanks.

My main Bass rod is a Cabelas 9' 6wt TLR rod. Like it alot. they are on sale right now for $79.

I fished the Potomac River for years with a Sage RPL 6wt.Great all around rod for SMB and all FW fish.They come up on Ebay pretty regularly for a decent price.

e bay has the BVK for about $230.00 brand new. I fish for carp and smallies with the BVK (6 wt) on the Passaic river.

+ Reply to Thread