+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: looking for a 9' 6wt rod for smallmouth

I have the BVK in 5wt, if you get one, try the SA GPX line on it. I have it on mine and it is great!

Found a Thomas & Thomas 8'6" 6wt blank for a lot less than the regular list price. Hope to have time to build it before the weather turns cold.

Thanks

Wow! You guys must like canons. I prefer a 7'9" Bamboo 7 wt for big bass flies, and Huge Carp.

I think the Sage VXP in the 691 (which indicates 9' 6wt with fighting butt) would be ideal; especially considering the blowout prices on them now! You can also buy the blank and build it the way you like.
    US Veteran and concerned citizen

I am partial to an old glass 8.5 ft, 8 weight that I use primarily for largemouth bass. I am most often using larger poppers and weighted clouser minnows. I have used a 6 wt, but like the 8 wt for larger bass (3-5lb).

Quote Originally Posted by appalachian angler View Post
    I think the Sage VXP in the 691 (which indicates 9' 6wt with fighting butt) would be ideal; especially considering the blowout prices on them now! You can also buy the blank and build it the way you like.
    What he said times a million! That rod casts so smoothly!

I've always used an Orvis Clearwater (the original Clearwater) 9ft 6wt with a RIO Cold Water Clouser line. I like the slower action and the heavy weight forward line throws a big fly on the 6wt with no problem. I think their new line that is similar is their smallmouth line. I know a lot of folks bad mouth Orvis, but I love the original Clearwater rods. I have a newer 4wt rod as well, and it casts nicely too. Again, I like the slower action.

There are 2 rods that have not been mentioned that are great smallmouth rods. The first is from the Mystic Rob company in Michigan, their Reaper series. The second would be the Shore Stalker from Loomis designed by Dave Whitlock that are 8'6" rods.

But probably the most important thing I think you can do is change lines that you are using, the GPX it's a great summer line but it seems to tango a lot and get stuff for me in the fall when the water temperatures drop. A line that I think you should consider is the Wulff Bass line in whatever weight way you choose. The RIO Grand is another possibility a great versatile all-around line. Fishin, Jimmy

I use the GPX, but I'm in Florida, hard to use the coldwater lines down here, it gets so limp in 90deg heat.
    Tried the Wulff line, it was too heavy in the head to cast well on the Scotts and the BVK. Just a matter of personal casting style, I suppose.
    Last edited by RHenn; 10-17-2014 at 10:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RHenn View Post
    I have the BVK in 5wt, if you get one, try the SA GPX line on it. I have it on mine and it is great!
    I also have a 9', 5-wt. BVK. I have over-lined it with a 6-weight line, which casts MUCH better given my limited casting skill. I use a cheap, large arbor reel from BassPro which balances nicely with the rod. I find this a very acceptable rig.

Regards,
    Ed

+ Reply to Thread