+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fluorocarbon Leader/Tippet

Default Fluorocarbon Leader/Tippet

I read somewhere a while back that fluorocarbon leader/tippet material was not recommended for dry flies as it tends to sink faster then standard mono leaders. I was wondering how many others found this to be turn .... or not ?? Is using fluorocarbon tippets on drys not a good idea ?

Thanks,

Mike
    "The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of that which is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope" -John Buchan

Blog Entries

I use fluorocarbon tippet on all my dry flies. My leaders are mono but the tippet is fluoro. The 18 to 24 inches of fluoro has little to do with the sinking of a dry fly (unless maybe you use size 26 or something) and the better invisibility far out weights any sinking issue. Try it you will like it.

Larry ---sagefisher---

Thanks for the info. I don't really fish allot of dry flies, sizes #10-12, as a rule but wanted to try out a few patterns this weekend. Will give the fluoro., tippets a try.

Mike
    "The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of that which is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope" -John Buchan

I use furled thread leaders and flourocarbon tippet for all of my trout fishing. Anything 5x and smaller I have never had an issue. I have noticed a higher sink rate with my bass tippet though....8# and up. So I use mono for my bassbug rigs.

Regards,

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy

Great info Silver thanks.

I use flourocarbon tippet down to 6x. I use floatant on it and it works fine.
    The man who coined the phrase "Money can't buy happiness", never bought himself a good fly rod!

it doesn't matter to me. i use FC and mono, whatever comes to hand. as far as invisibility goes, if I can see it, and I can, then an animal which lives in water can see it too.
    ‎"Trust, but verify" - Russian Proverb, as used by Ronald Reagan

Just as 'Something to think about'. There were/are a lot of fly fishers that think, for dry fly fishing, the tippet portion should be under the surface. That's because apparently 'on' the surface the tippet gives off a definite impression on the water and shadow under it. A tippet below the surface is not nearly as visible. Now, does using a tippet that floats versus one that sinks actually make a difference? Some authors like Bergman and Gordon thought so. I don't recall reading anything about this in recent literature and the trout aren't talking either.

Quote Originally Posted by Allan View Post
    Just as 'Something to think about'. There were/are a lot of fly fishers that think, for dry fly fishing, the tippet portion should be under the surface. That's because apparently 'on' the surface the tippet gives off a definite impression on the water and shadow under it. A tippet below the surface is not nearly as visible. Now, does using a tippet that floats versus one that sinks actually make a difference? Some authors like Bergman and Gordon thought so. I don't recall reading anything about this in recent literature and the trout aren't talking either.
    Actually this makes allot of sense if you think about it. I don't fish dries for trout but the same principle applies I would think.

Mike

+ Reply to Thread