+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Help identifying a Winston rod

Default Help identifying a Winston rod

I have a 7'9" 5 pc 3wt Winston rod that I built, have used and loved for several years. My son and I were fishing for brookies and and the 4th section broke when he was casting. I was behind him watching and witnessed the entire affair. After reassuring him he did nothing wrong and he will make it to his 17th birthday we shared a rod for the remainder of the day. The trouble now is that I no longer have any paperwork from the purchase of the blank. I believe it was purchased in 1995-1996. The blank is green in color with ferrules pictured. Any help with identifying the model would be appreciated before I contact Winston to seek a replacement section.

Thanks

I would be surprised if they made more than one rod as a 7'9" 5pc 3wt in 1995-1996. I would just call Winston's service/repair department and explain the situation.

Ted

Sounds like an LT, but tedshuck is right, it's pretty unliky they made more than one 5 pc 7'9" 5 wt in the 90's. Call the service folks and ask.

Cliff

I would agree with it being an LT.
    It's a 5pc rod.
    It has spigot ferrules.
    The LT came out in 1996.

Blog Entries

I have a 3 wt. 5 piece LT Winston, but is an 8'3" rod.......not 7'9"
    I think mine was from the late 90 's. It is a factory rod.

It was a few years back I fell off a log and snapped my Winston LT 5pc 3wt rod right at the top of the cork. I also had no paperwork. I called the fine folks at Winston to look into a repair and was told to send it in. When I explained that I damaged the rod through my own carelessness and that I had no paper, I was told that 'all Winston rods are guaranteed, regardless'. A few weeks later I got the rod back fully restored for just the cost of postage. This was a few years back, prior to the bamboo folks splitting off. I hope you get a similar response, the 3wt LT is one sweet little rod.

I bought my LT on e-bay. When I broke it - my fault - I learned that Winston rods are guaranteed for life for the original purchaser. If you bought it new you should be covered, if you bought used the repair is on you.

Cliff

+ Reply to Thread