Weekly Fraser Valley Sport fishing column; Sept 8 to15, 2014

Over the next few columns I am going to stick my neck out and share thoughts on fly presentation. Note I said presentation, not casting. You can be top of the class in casting and still not catch fish. Trust me; I was there back in the 70?s. I don?t claim to be another Lefty Krey or Joan Wulff; or be certified by the FFF (Federation of Fly Fishers). No, I am just a guy who has learned what works, and is willing to share that with you.

Many novice fly anglers and non fly anglers, stand at a distance watching an accomplished caster, making perfect casts, and think this is fly fishing; it?s not. Casting is fly casting, not fly fishing. There is a difference, and the fish can make frustratingly aware of it.

Stop putting all your focusing on distance. Many fish lie within your line of vision; thirty to fifty feet. Working closer has a number of advantages: Less line in the air which equates to better control. Working a shorter line means having your fly in the water, more often and longer. Working close also allows you to see what is going on at the end of your line, instead leaving it to guess work and assumption.

More on this next week.

The Report

Fishing on our lower mainland lakes is slow. Try working the south west sections of your favorite during the evening through night fall for better success. For wet (sinking) fly fishing try: Wooly Bugger, Zulu, Baggy Shrimp, Dragonfly Nymph, Doc Spratley, or Halfback. For dry (floating) fly fishing try: Griffith Gnat, Royal Coachman, Black Gnat, Irresistible, Renegade, or Elk hair Caddis. For kokanee try: Bloodworm, San Juan Worm, Red Ibis, Red Spratley, or Kokanee killer.

The bass and pan fish, fishing is good. For bass try: Big Black, Clouser?s Deep Minnow, Lefty?s Deceiver, Dolly Whacker, Wooly Bugger, Pumpkinhead, Gomphus Bug, Popin Bug, Foam Frog, Chernobyl Ant, Adult Damsel, or Stimulator. For Pan fish try: Wooly Bugger, Micro Leach, Halfback, Pumpkinhead, Dolly Whacker, Tied Down Minnow, Popin Bug, or Chernobyl Ant.

Our interior lakes are slow. Try: Pumpkinhead, Big Black, Micro Leach, 52 Buick, Sixpack, Butlers Bug, Dragon Nymph, Green Spratley, or Baggy Shrimp, for fishing wet. For dry fly action try: Lady McConnel, Big Ugly, Black Gnat, Tom Thumb, Adams, or Irresistible.

The Fraser River salmon fishing remains strong. Keep your eyes and ears open for coming salmon fishing closures. For spring try: Big Black, GP, Squamish Poacher, Eggo, Flat Black, Mat Red, or Kaufmann Stone. For sockeye try: Lime green or chartreuse patterns.

The Harrison River is fair for cutthroat, rainbow and sockeye. For cutthroat try: Rolled Muddler, Hairs Ear, Elk Hair Caddis, Anderson Stone, Adult Damsel, Golden Stone, Adams, or Irresistible.

The Thomson River is good for sockeye, while slow for rainbow. For sockeye try: UV orange patterns. For rainbow try: Kaufmann Golden stone, Joe?s Hopper, Tom Thumb, Irresistible, Elk Hair Caddis, or Rolled Muddler.