The hook on Davies fly does look odd to me. I suspect the reason is that, years ago, dry flies here were almost always tied on up eyed hooks, wet flies on down eyed. Then we heard that in the States you used down eyed hooks for dries. With the changes that were going on at the time (like more parachute style dries being tied) this seemed like a good idea. That meant that dries started to be tied on what were lighter wire wet fly hooks. Of course, as usual, we hadn't been given the full story. The hooks were dry fly hooks "with a down eye" rather than the same hooks that were used for wet flies. Davies fly looks as though it is tied on a light wire wet fly hook. Traditional wet fly hooks are shorter in the shank than the same size dry fly hook. It did strike me as a strange choice of hook when I saw it.

As towd y'lot before. Thi's all gotta learn t' talk proper like wot a does!

Way back during my RAF service there was a sort of neutral "services accent" emerging. It was a kind of middle ground between all the regional accents. I really hope that we are not heading towards that kind of single homogenised sterile accent. 400 years ago you would not be able to understand someone 25 mile from your home. Dave speaks with a very gentle Scottish accent, if you have difficulties understanding him, then don't get lost if you visit! You'll never follow any directions you are given!

Cheers,
A.