+ Reply to Thread

Thread: guides/ferrules

Default guides/ferrules

How close to the ferrule should a guide be to be included in the thread wrap of the ferrule? Or, how far apart do they need to be to merit a separate wrap? Or, will someone please help me out here?!?

------------------
    Trouts don't live in ugly places
    Trouts don't live in ugly places.

A friend is not who knows you the longest, but the one who came and never left your side.

Don't look back, we ain't goin' that way.

My question exactly, and I asked it a while ago, and got answers all over the place, but the concensus seemed to be in the inch and 1/4 or less for sure, and above that a little less than a quarter inch - but if your measurement would put the guide, say, an inch and 3/4, you could get away with fudging on your measurements and put it a bit over a 1/4 inch closer to the ferrule and wrap together - maybe adjust your other measurements a tiny bit.

Do what you want to do. It's your rod. As long as the ferrule wrap is two times as long as the female ferrule diameter, to prevent splitting, it comes down to esthetics. I don't know anything about the physics of it ,but I think you would want a gap between the guide wrap and the ferrule wrap as both are stress points and serve a seperate function?

------------------
    "Illegitimus nil Carborundum"

At this point in life, it is purely aesthetics. I have seen very high quality bamboo rods with a continued wrap from the ferrule located guide over the ferrule at 1/2" or more. I have also seen the wraps separated. Arguments on both sides of the fence about reduced weight, etc, but the bottom line is it is purely aesthetics on most rods. On others, such ss some fiberglass rods, it may be in support of a spigot ferrule or to support the glass on thin walled constructions. The facts are going to be very hard to find supporting either way that you decide to do it I think. Have you talked to the maker of the blank or to someone like Tom Kirkman?

Thank you all! I used the 1 1/4 "rule" and it looks really good. The rod is a 10'6#, so the little bit extra wrap isn't overpowering. Dark green rod (thanks Batson's!), and dark green thread, no color preservative, so it took really dark, really deep.

------------------
    Trouts don't live in ugly places
    Trouts don't live in ugly places.

A friend is not who knows you the longest, but the one who came and never left your side.

Don't look back, we ain't goin' that way.

Betty, great colors and very impactufl withou the preserver!!! We would love to see some pictures!! Bet it looks a lot like a LTX!

+ Reply to Thread