Herefishy,

There are a couple of reasons why a person intending to carry a firearm would benefit from a concealed carry permit.

Concealed carry permits offer a safety net to the person carrying the weapon. In many states, law enforcement officers can be very picky about weapon carry laws. If you were carrying a firearm openly on your belt, but put on a jacket that covered or obscured the weapon, you may be in jeopardy of arrest. With the 'permit' you are covered. It's just a prudent legal step to take if you feel the need to carry a firearm.

Sometimes having a visible weapon can cause others to react negatively. From open challenges from criminals (or just jerks that want to show off), to politically motivated tirades from folks that disagree with your right to carry arms. Both of these instances can be unpleasant. Sometimes, seeing someone openly carrying firearm can even alarm others. Calls can be made to the authorities, and having your dinner or shopping trip interrupted by a concerned law enforcement officer can be annoying at the least. Even if it's your right to do so, these things often happen to those carrying openly.

I'm sure others can come up with additional reasons why a concealed carry is a good option to have.

I no longer carry a firearm all the time. I did so every time I left the house while I was a police officer. Carrying a gun everyday, everywhere you go is not something I want to put up with anymore. It's a hassle, and I don't feel the need. I do carry when I go out into the wilderness to fish. Two legged varmints are the main concern, plus the occasional bear. People can get weird away from civilization.

Buddy