+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A bit off topic but -CCW ??

Hybrid View

Default A bit off topic but -CCW ??

Again, to raise the pulse a bit,
    How many of us herein have applied for a Concealed Carry License ?? And to open up the forum question a bit, WHY haven't you if in fact you haven't ??

Mark
    PS: As almost a JOKE, the two states I was most interested in, Florida and Wyoming, do NOT honor my Illinois CCW License. I guess it's UDAP in both cases for me.

Mark

Blog Entries

yes

Len.
    Although NOT for EDC, my 44 is an S&W Performance Center 629 with the 3" barrel. THAT is for the "just in case the UDAP doesn't work in Wyoming". My EDC ( seldom) is a S&W M&P Shield 9mm.

Mark

If I was fishing someplace where I thought I needed a handgun to be safe I would leave. If I knew I was going into a gunfight I'd pack both of my Ithica model 37s. They don't conceal very well but they pack a lot of punch.
    I can think of few acts more selfish than refusing a vaccination.

Quote Originally Posted by rainbowchaser View Post
    If I was fishing someplace where I thought I needed a handgun to be safe I would leave. If I knew I was going into a gunfight I'd pack both of my Ithica model 37s. They don't conceal very well but they pack a lot of punch.
    Rainbowchaser,
    There is a lot of water in the SE US where an angler might carry a pistol for protection from wild animals. Cottonmouths are the most likely problem for me. Coy-dogs have been a problem at times in Tennessee. In some places bears, 'gators, etc... are a problem.

Regards,
    Ed

I have had my Concealed Carry License for over 15 years and will continue to renew it each time it is due.
    Warren
    Fly fishing and fly tying are two things that I do, and when I am doing them, they are the only 2 things I think about. They clear my mind.

Maybe I'm missing the point - I'm one of those people who are probably the most dangerous to myself - have a weapon, but not real familiar with it, and not a real good shot, practice once in a while, etc. Strictly to kill someone who tries to get to me in the house. That said, why conceal? Why not just put it on your hip and let others see you have a deterrent?

Herefishy,

There are a couple of reasons why a person intending to carry a firearm would benefit from a concealed carry permit.

Concealed carry permits offer a safety net to the person carrying the weapon. In many states, law enforcement officers can be very picky about weapon carry laws. If you were carrying a firearm openly on your belt, but put on a jacket that covered or obscured the weapon, you may be in jeopardy of arrest. With the 'permit' you are covered. It's just a prudent legal step to take if you feel the need to carry a firearm.

Sometimes having a visible weapon can cause others to react negatively. From open challenges from criminals (or just jerks that want to show off), to politically motivated tirades from folks that disagree with your right to carry arms. Both of these instances can be unpleasant. Sometimes, seeing someone openly carrying firearm can even alarm others. Calls can be made to the authorities, and having your dinner or shopping trip interrupted by a concerned law enforcement officer can be annoying at the least. Even if it's your right to do so, these things often happen to those carrying openly.

I'm sure others can come up with additional reasons why a concealed carry is a good option to have.

I no longer carry a firearm all the time. I did so every time I left the house while I was a police officer. Carrying a gun everyday, everywhere you go is not something I want to put up with anymore. It's a hassle, and I don't feel the need. I do carry when I go out into the wilderness to fish. Two legged varmints are the main concern, plus the occasional bear. People can get weird away from civilization.

Buddy
    It Just Doesn't Matter....

I see your point - but don't think I would carry a weapon if I wanted to conceal it.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    PS: As almost a JOKE, the two states I was most interested in, Florida and Wyoming, do NOT honor my Illinois CCW License.
    I'm shocked that Illinois honors it.

To answer your question, though, I have a CCW.

+ Reply to Thread