Ree, thank you for the vote of confidence, I will try to offer some advice and I am hopeful that more of the boo guys will jump in on it with a few ideas as well, there are tons of them that come from the group here on FAOL.

"My problems with this rod are that the guide wraps are dried out & cracking,and 1-2 missing guides. The hook keeper & tip are wrapped in y/b jasper thread, and are in good condition. I'd like to re-guide/wrap this rod back to useable condition.There isn't varnish under the cracked wraps/guides"
If you want to match the wraps..pretty easy to do and depending on the wraps you should be able to find a thread that is very very close or similar. What i would do is to re wrap the whole rod, sounds as if you are pretty close to needing to do that anyway. Which guides are you needing? I have several hundred take offs that are in great shape and will send you what you need. while you have it stripped you can get some varnish under those wraps and probably help with the black marks left by the old guides as well.

"and the female ferrule on the bottom section of rod is slightly cracked under where the wraps would have been. I'd like not to have to refinish the whole rod,just the windings. And, just for me, I'd like to add a red agate stripper"
I think that if I were you, replacing the guides and the stripper I would go ahead and do the ferrule as well. If that ferrule is cracked and you are fishing for big fish with it, you are facing a problem on down the road that you could eliminate by replacing that bad boy now. I also have a few old agate strippers and you are welcome to one of them if you want it.

Pictures of the rod would be a huge plus, but based on what you are saying, your grandfather would be very proud of you using this fine old rod, and his pride would really swell knowing that you restored it. Take a lot of pride in that old rod, and just think of the stories it could tell if it could talk