+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: "Antron" in LaFontaine's famous Sparkle Pupa patterns

Gary's sparkle patterns evolved a bit over the years. Early patterns used three strands of yarn veiling the body and a head of marabou strands twisted together. His sparkle caddis patterns in later years used the touch dub method that Allan mentioned. Then he used two strands of yarn veiling the touch dub body. Also he switched to a dubbed head in place of the marabou. Personally I like the sparkle aire over the dazzle aire, the dazzle aire is too soft and pulls apart too easy. Unfortunately as far as I know sparkle aire is no longer available. Kind of funny my original skeins were purchased at a Ben Franklin in Manchester Vermont probably 35 years ago while visiting the Orvis store. Also in the sparkle yarn the clear antron fibers are much more noticeable.
    Last edited by Gene; 09-01-2014 at 08:53 PM. Reason: the

AlanB Guest

Sorry if this isn't directly on topic but I just want to say thanks to Planettrout for that reference. I've maintained for years that dubbing and felting are related. Now I have a really good quote to back it up.

Cheers,
    A.

Blog Entries

Gene,
    I did notice some of those changes. Presumably they were improvements.....either in effectiveness or ease of tying.

Sure wish he was still around. Who knows what he might have brought forward by now.

Just in case some might not know....

LaFontaine convinced his advisor to allow him to do his thesis (in psychology, I believe) on what causes trout to take a fly or some such topic. It led to his book a Caddisflies.

Someone please correct me where I have this wrong as it has been a long time since I read about that.

Anyway, regardless of the exact history, it certainly demonstrates his ingenuity.

Byron haugh-

"I believe this differing color pattern is called "variegated" yarn."

AKA: Goldmine
    Just another HappyHooker

Catching and Releasing Fisher-folk for 40+years

Well, FWIW, here's some updated information about the 'DAZZLE - AIRE' yarn we're talking about. Apparently there's a new version that has a different chemical make-up. Anyway, here's information about what GLF was talking about back when:

Name Dazzleaire (Vintage) discontinued

Brand Caron

Weight Aran / 10 ply (8 wpi) ?

Wraps per inch

Yardage 190 yards (174 meters)

Unit weight 85 grams (3.00 ounces)

Gauge 18.0 sts = 4 inches

Needle size US 8 - 5.0 mm

Fibers 60% Acrylic
    40% Nylon (Polyamide)

Texture brushed

Machine wash? yes

60% acrylic 40% nylon
    This yarn was discontinued. (my emphasis)

Just checked and it appears that some years back Caron began to make a new 'Dazzle-Aire' and it's 80% acrylic, 20% nylon. Not the same.

Allan
    Last edited by Allan; 09-01-2014 at 11:55 PM.

Allan, dazzle aire was not the product he used originally, sparkle yarn was. He and others had to settle eventually for dazzle. It does not seem to have the qualities of the original sparkle yarn. If you want a sample of this yarn let me know, I'll part with a little.
    Gene
    Last edited by Gene; 09-02-2014 at 12:12 AM.

Blog Entries

Gene,

Can you provide a link to "sparkle yarn"?
    Thanks
    The only place I have found is the Bookmailer site. I can't find a product for sale by that title.

How did/does "sparkle Uarn" differ from Dazzle-Aire....the original dazzle-Aire?
    Last edited by Byron haugh; 09-02-2014 at 01:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gene View Post
    Allan, dazzle aire was not the product he used originally, sparkle yarn was. He and others had to settle eventually for dazzle. It does not seem to have the qualities of the original sparkle yarn. If you want a sample of this yarn let me know, I'll part with a little.
    Gene
    Gene,

First, several years ago I was sent about 10 yards each of a dozen different colors of the yarn GLF used. I think they are still in the shipping box and if I have it, I hope the senders name is on it. It may take me a day or two to find and I'll post any information about the sender/materials.
    Second, I have the book, Challenge of the Trout('76), by GLF on my lap. On page 111 there is the following conversation between GLF and Bill Seeples during an experiment in observing insects and a material in a pool on the Jefferson River.
    "At the river, while Bill positioned himself fifteen feet downstream, I scattered clumps of a synthetic material. I spread nubs of a new type of Sparkle yarn in the current to shimmer with irradiating reflections of its clear filaments.
    Bill popped quickly to the surface. "What is that stuff?"
    "It's the material we need for the pupal sheath."
    "You won't believe how perfect it looks," he insisted. "I'll scatter it while you dive."
    The sparkling yarn, capturing the translucent similarity of the pupa, was a nylon/acrylic material with clear interwoven filaments. Marketed under various brand names - Dazzle, Sparkle, Souffle - it was available in a total array of color."

There's also a reference to articles in the UFT Roundtable magazine and the CT Flyfishermen's Assoc. newsletter.

Allan

Blog Entries

"challenge of the Trout" is a 1983 book. Apparently 1982/1983 was pretty early in the game for the "sparkle" patterns, and the photo of the note LaFontaine wrote citing, among other brand names -dazzle-Aire was March 25, 1982..,,
    I have ordered some "sparkle yarn" from the Bookmailer and will see how it compares to my, now discontinued, Dazzleaire and let you know.

Although......the Book Mailer claims the first sparkle pupa was tied in 1972.,,,,,,,

.....".....and the beat goes on.....and on......and on...."
    Last edited by Byron haugh; 09-02-2014 at 03:14 AM.

I carry the original antron material, my supplier has the only load of real original antron left. its a train car full from DuPont. he has papers on it and used to do gary's stuff after the yarn went off market. its long for tying the sheath but dubs nice. see my webpape.
    sandfly/bob
    N.J.B.B.A. #2215
    I did not escape.....they gave me a day pass!
    from the outer edge of nowhere
    fly tying and fishing ghillie..

+ Reply to Thread