+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FOUND - Pure Antron(maybe)

Default FOUND - Pure Antron(maybe)

For some silly reason I decided to make a few 'Paracord bracelets'. I had gotten black and white parachute 550 cord awhile back so all I needed was a package of snaps and instructions. Well, to make it a short story, when I cut the cord and then trimmed it, I noticed that each of the 7 filaments of the core were made up of a sparkling fibered material that looked just like antron. Sometime when I think about it I'll add some to a natural fur, put the mix in a blender and see how it comes out. In the meantime, does anyone know for sure what the material is that's inside parachute 550 cord?

Allan

I found this:

This is some of the most versatile cordage available. It is made of a Nylon sheath or outer jacket and 7 strands of nylon twine inside, that are removable to be used in many ways, snares, fishing line, use for small lashings, or to sew with. Don’t be fooled by cheap parachute cord knockoffs. Real parachute cordage has a tensile strength of 550 pounds. As a Kerrnmantle rope type, its interior core (the kern) protected with a woven exterior sheath or mantle that optimizes strength, durability, and flexibility. Many sources claim the number of strands in 550 paracord is 7, however closer inspection will reveal there are actually 14. The strands are twisted in groups of two to form the 7 strands commonly cited. A braided nylon outer sheath contains and protects the cordage inside. As I mentioned, 550 paracord is rated to hold 550 pounds. Taken individually, the components of this parachute cord consist of The paracord sheath is rated at about 300-pounds 14 inner strings, each of which have a rating of about 17.5 pounds 7 strands made up on two strings each for a rating of 35 pounds. Packed in 100 foot hanks - See more at: http://wildernessinnovation.com/surv....W8yJZSPv.dpuf
    Warren
    Fly fishing and fly tying are two things that I do, and when I am doing them, they are the only 2 things I think about. They clear my mind.

Warren,

Thanks for that but my question goes unanswered: does anyone know for sure what the material is that's inside parachute 550 cord?

Paracord is 100% nylon.

Blog Entries

One alternative to searching for it in other forms/uses

http://www.blue-ribbon-flies.com/sho...de2bb53471a0d/

Hi Warren,

Well, I looked up and read what you suggested. Then I read a few other sources describing 'parachute cord'. The other sources state that the inner core of military quality parachute cord has 7 inner strands and each strand has 3 (not 2) strands. I also learned that the entire cord is nylon and, I didn't realize this, all Antron is nylon. So, if a fly tier was to cut the inner cord into short lengths they could be used to add sparkle to straight fur dubbing. Anyway, thanks for looking into this and giving me information that helped me look even further.

Why do we get so hung up on is it Antron, and I must have Antron because some guy that is an Antron salesman tells you it's the only thing that will work? Chop some of the stuff up and give it a whirl...what have you got to loose??

Brad
    "A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her."
    -W.C. Fields

Quote Originally Posted by Kaboom1 View Post
    Why do we get so hung up on is it Antron, and I must have Antron because some guy that is an Antron salesman tells you it's the only thing that will work? Chop some of the stuff up and give it a whirl...what have you got to loose??

Brad
    Hi Brad,

Several years ago I bought a pack of pure white antron that was cut to about 1/2 inch in length. Lost the pack among my stuff. When U saw the remnants from making a paracord bracelet they just looked the same. Not "hung up" at all. In fact I hardly use any synthetic materials. Was just curious.

Allan

Another bit of trivia. Craft store and hardwarestore "paracord" is not the same as military grade "550"cord. Also, the 550 comes from the tensil strength of the cord....but only vertical stretch. Not knot strength or side pressure, and friction is not it's friend. Military paracord is actually thinner, more supple and stronger.

Taken from a military supply site:

Genuine Vs. Commercial 550 Paracord
    • When it comes down to it one cord is genuine, military issued paracord, and the other is a replica. If you get quality commercial 550 cord it should have relatively the same breaking strength as the genuine cord.
    • Genuine 550 cord is usually softer, more flexible, and always 1/8" in diameter. Most commercial paracord I've purchased is closer to 3/16" in diameter, a bit stiffer, and has more of a rough texture.
    • Genuine 550 cord has 7 inner strands, which each contain 3 inner strands of themselves. Some commercial paracord will have 8 strands, some 9, and even when they do have 7, it most likely is 7 inner strands each containing 2 inner strands of their own, not 3.
    • In addition to the break down of the strands, genuine cord normally has one inner strand which has a yellow and black inner strand of its own. This is the most common way of telling the difference between different types of parachute cord.
    Check out some more information on 550 cord over on http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parachute_cord

Allan

+ Reply to Thread