+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Help on new ferrules Please

Default Help on new ferrules Please

I recieved the new ferrules for the bamboo rod I am restoring. I sent the old ferrules to Goldenwitch for an exact diameter duplication. The old ferrules were a step down version. I stayed with the step down on the new ferrules. My problem is, the new ferrules are longer and the rod will have to seat deeper (I think) and also the new ferrules have "tabs". Are the tabs for a smoother transition from ferrule to rod? Could someone help step the "Rookie" through this process?

Your help and kindness is appreciated in advance.

Kind regards.
    Steve (Rookie)
    Steve

hey Rookie,
    My problem is, the new ferrules are longer and the rod will have to seat deeper (I think)
    they could be a little longer. use anything that will fit inside the ferrule and measure the depth of it, then compare that to the ferrule station, that will give you an idea of what you are dealing with in the fitment of the ferrules to the blanks.

Are the tabs for a smoother transition from ferrule to rod?
    yes, the tabs are designed to give you a smooth transition and will give you a nice fit of the ferrul to the blank. One of the tricks in putting these ferrules on to achieve that is to have some really nice strong string ready for when you glue the ferrules on. After seating the ferrule tightly wrap the string around the tabs to pull them down nice and snug with the blank, then wipe off any squeeze out of glu that you have, you will like the result. If you don't wrap the string around the tabs you could have the taps pushing out away from the blank and that makes for an ugly transition.

hope this helps

You've always pulled me through. I appreciate the help.

Thanks
    Steve

Hey dleo,

Just got the ferrule on the butt section. Went very slowly making the most minor modifications at a time. Fit great, glued great. I tied off using a wrap method. I used some 25 lb mono. Held nice and tight.

Now to the next piece. thanks again.

Steve (Rookie)
    Steve

Sounding good there rookie...keep going..

Keep your eye on the alighnment of the ferrules...don't want one section pointed to dallas the other at Ft Worth!!

Are ya hooked yet???

+ Reply to Thread