+ Reply to Thread

Thread: About Tenkara flies

Hybrid View

Default About Tenkara flies

Okay, I tried search and couldn't come up with anything. Wrong combination of words I guess. I know people use regular flies on Tenkara. I know people use Tenkara flies on regular tackle. What I can't figure out or find is information on the original reason for the front facing hackle on most Tenkara flies. I know there's other flies but I'm interested in an explanation for the original concept of forward facing hackle being developed for Tenkara.

With a slight lift and drop (pulsing the fly), the hackle will open and close. This makes the fly seem alive.

Bob

Maybe a few videos will help.

Oki Kebari under water

https://vine.co/v/hulYFvT1Y9t

Sakasa Kebari Underwater

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Cflrh-c7eM

Sakasa Kebari Underwater Hackle Comparison

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r3dkf7LNviA

Do they look alive or at least lively? And perhaps more likely to attract the attention of a fish watching for a meal.

D

I hope I'm not pirating the thread. Davie McPhail has a video on YouTube. Is this version of a Tenkara fly considered to be over-dressed?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L-oWwsEs_0Q

Thanks,
    Ed

The forward facing hackle does move enticingly, but realistically, a regular, backward facing hackle moves enticingly as well. The forward facing hackle opens up more, and the backward facing hackle closes down more, but they both move.

I believe the answer to the forward facing hackle question is to not look at the flies in isolation. Look at them as part of a system, with the rod and the line as integral parts of the system. The beauty of tenkara is that the long rod and light line helps to keep the line off the water's surface, which results in less drag and better presentations. I didn't realize until I started fishing very small nymphs that the backward facing hackle helps tremendously to keep the line off the water. It acts like a sea anchor or drogue chute (works like a parachute under water). The forward facing hackle - especially when tied full rather than sparse - very definitely resists the tendency of the line to sag. Very similar flies are tied in the Sesia river valley in Italy, where the traditional fishing method also uses a long rod and horsehair line tied to the rod tip. The hackle is tied that way because it works better (when used with a tenkara rod and line). With a western rod and line, there is little advantage to the forward facing hackle.
    Tenkara Bum

Ed, I think it is overdressed, but perhaps the fish like it.
    Tenkara Bum

Thanx for the response and links. I will go with the explanations but at same time think the difference is one of culture and tradition. I do not believe (at this time) that using one versus the other will make for more or less fish caught. If I ever go to using Tenkara rigs I might find different but don't have the water for Tenkara use (I fish mostly lakes) and may never get the chance to experiment myself. I do like the looks of Tenkara flies tho and since I'm a consistent overdresser (differing from crossdresser) I think the McPhail fly is gorgeous.

+ Reply to Thread