+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Mentoring

Question Mentoring

As some of you viewers may recall, I'm too old to do much active fishing but I continue to promote fly tying and fishing.
    My latest challenge is to mentor a young fellow into fly fishing and somewhat away from spinfishing only.
    He is very successful in a local pond using plastic worms. What I'm seeking is advice on which specific chenille
    would be the best replacement tail for a weighted fly. Or maybe it's not chenille at all. Maybe I should treat some chamois strips with a black marker. Comments appreciated.

Mohair or Angora yarn might work for you. Twist it then hold it and bend it at the middle. Tie it back in and release it. It will counterwind on itself and give a decent tail. This is what is done on some leech patterns.

Regards,
    Ed

how bt a 2 or 3"long zonker strip

i understand what you are doing, just don't understand why? why not just adapt the rubber worms he is using currently, which are working well, to the fly rod?
    ‎"Trust, but verify" - Russian Proverb, as used by Ronald Reagan

Try the "Wee Willy Wiggler" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_X9OC1Fdq40 Or tie a Green Weenie a little long in charteuse and hot pink.
    Last edited by Uncle Jesse; 08-28-2014 at 11:37 PM.
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

I fish a rabbit strip leech with dumb bell eyes and out fish usually by 2 to 1 a friend of mine who fishes a rubber worm on spinning gear

I gave a bass fisher at work several rubber legged wooly buggers with large dumbbell eyes after I decided that I didn't like casting them. He did quite well with them fishing them like plastic worms. We did agree that they worked better with a stinger hook in the tail. I think he added a number ten treble hook on a piece of stiff mono tied to the hook bend below the tail.
    I can think of few acts more selfish than refusing a vaccination.

+ Reply to Thread