+ Reply to Thread

Thread: uv thread?

Default uv thread?

I tied some flies with the new uv2 materials last winter, and have lost track of them. Some I can find by shining my uv light on them, but not all the materials show up. Is there a thread I can use for the heads on these flies so I can identify them? I know there is a fluorescent thread, but some I don't want to be bright. I use different colors for the flies depending on body color, so what other options do I have?

Don't know if this will help or not, but I know the companies recommend using white thread under their UV2 materials. You could notice the flies with white heads when you start separating them, know they are the UV2 flies, and then color the heads with the appropriate color marker (if necessary) when you start to put them in a particular area of your box. Or carry the marker on the stream and color them there. The white head should show up pretty well.

Joe

Thanks for the idea - makes me think I might put the uv flies in a separate box, too. Didn't realize I should be using white thread - is that because hints of that will shine through the material?

I'm sure someone else here knows the exact reasons (I don't), but the companies recommend using either white thread or covering the hook with pearl mylar or silver tinsel under the UV2 materials.

Joe
    Last edited by Joe Billingsley; 08-27-2014 at 02:38 PM.

AlanB Guest

Become an apiculturist! Certainly here you have to paint a registration number on your queens. Once you have learned to write that small you'll be able to put the full recipe on the head of every fly

I have a very simple system for my loch flies. I have a box with a swing leaf. That gives me 4 sides of flies. Top middle and point flies, and dry flies. Some point flies are weighted, these go in the rows to the left. Same thing with my dry/nymph box for rivers. The more weight the further left it goes. You could have a couple of rows in your box for your UV flies.

Why do you need thread that is UV for this. If you have a dubbing dub a tiny length of your thread and form the whip finish with the dubbed thread. So long as you always use the same colour for the head of your UV flies it will identify them. Whats more doing it that way means you can identify them without your UV lamp.

The reason for using white thread with UV is so that more light is reflected back through the material. It is why some people will put silver tinsel under DFM floss. If you place these materials on a dark background you reduce their effect. (Though this is sometimes what you want).

Cheers,
    A.
    Last edited by AlanB; 08-27-2014 at 02:55 PM. Reason: Typo

I thought of using the same color for the uv's, but i I use olive, for instance, then I can't use olive thread for my other flies. I do like the idea of the 4 sided box. If I just dub the thread, I still have the same problem that not all the UV2 material shows up under the light.

Put them in a separate box...

F.Y.I.:

"As with all UV2 dubbings, these have a mix of primary colors that have been enhanced with UV Florescence and UV Reflectence dyes. We then blend these in with other fibers to achieve the over all base color while still giving it all the multi color property's of UV2. Each dubbing will kick out a host of color spectrums. Check them out in direct sunlight. *It is best to always use a pearl or silver Mylar under base or even basic white thread which will bounce any light back out of the pattern at a different wave length. Enjoy catching more fish than your partner."

From "Details" here:

https://spiritriver.com/uv2-caddis-nymph-dubbing

PT/TB
    Daughter to Father, "How many arms do you have, how many fly rods do you need?"
    http://planettrout.wordpress.com/

AlanB Guest

The head doesn't have to be form the same thread as the rest of the fly is tied with.
    Cheers,
    A.

+ Reply to Thread