+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 'Triggers'

No, I enjoy reading the opinions of others that are based on something. However, I did not feel like reading an essay of undetermined origins. If someone wants to say they think that something like a certain footprint is a 'trigger', or something else is, that's fine. But if someone wants to say that something is a trigger because so and so says it is, that's B.S. I've read many books where the author says that his/her fly pattern is great because such and such is a trigger. Yet, sometimes when I ask fly fishers if they've used so and so's flies, the answer is 'Nope. They ain't worth squat'. Or something to that effect. I've seen a name bandied about these threads and posts as an authoritative expert. Well, back when, and for 3 years straight, I saw that person hawk 3 different brands of fly hooks. Each year he/she raved about the brand of hook he/she was hawking. Of course maybe there was $$$ tied to the supporting advertisement.

At any rate, and talking about dry flies right now, I believe there's something about every fly that causes a trout to take it or not. In fact, one trout may let a fly go and the next trout along the current may ingest it. What didn't trigger one but triggered the other? We'll never know because trout don't talk.

Amen Allan.

I have to agree with Allan. That was a tremendous amount of reading (for a post) just to get an opinion.

Blog Entries

Personally, I would put more confidence in the findings/research of renown, generally well-respected authors like Gary Borger, Eric Leiser, Craig Matthews, Goddard & Clarke, Rene Harrop, Gary LaFontaine, etc, etc.
    They have spent lifetimes studying all things trout and how to catch them.
    I've found that you can learn a great deal from such great teachers. Thanks SilverCreek for summarizing some of the common precepts of such authors.
    Last edited by Byron haugh; 08-26-2014 at 08:11 PM.

I think we often over-think when it comes to fly fishing. We often give both the trout more credit then they deserve as well as the fisherman and his/her patterns. But given that acknowledgment, you can neither disregard one fisherman's opinions or thoughts as pablum any more than you can place a well-known name in the industry above that of the average guy putting feather and thread to hook.

A true story....in I believe 1995 or 1996 I was camping and fishing overnight at Rocky Ford Spring Creek in Washington St. On the 2nd morning I woke up to a crew of high-end trucks, camera crews, Orvis shirts and Gary Loomis hats. I recognized a few of them from shows and such. Talking to one of the camera guys as I brushed my teeth out of my canteen cup as I watched them get ready, he explained they were testing a new GL Spring Creek rod and filming "technical midge fishing". I fished upstream of them in the main pool most of the morning as I watched them put on casting demos for shots and catch I think maybe 2-3 smallish fish all morning. I caught 5-6 fish on a #18 Hairs ear twitched in. While a guy upstream of me caught at least a dozen fish, but 3 monster fish on a black and purple wooly bugger. Impressive fish. Talking with him later they were Walmart flies and a $50 rod/reel setup. straight out of bubble wrap packaging. He was in his 50's and had been fly fishing most of his adult life. He instructed me, "purple and black works here," with a wink. I agreed with him and thanked him for the help. That one guy gave me more usable information for that water than that whole crew of pros could have mustered put together.

But that's the fun in all of this craziness we call flyfishing.

+ Reply to Thread